Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Toner and best wrinkle products

I'm 43 years old, have normal skin (not dry or oily) but dealing with fine lines and wrinkles on my forehead without taking the botox plunge just yet. I have a pretty set routine: Sunday Riley cleanser, Belif toner, Drunk Elephant retinol cream, Caudalie Vinoperfect serum followed up with my new favorite Amorepacific skin reserve creme. I wanted to get opinions on if a toner is really necessary and if anyone has suggestions for products you feel work magic on deep forehead lines (thanks divorce!). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Toner and best wrinkle products

@bonniebell2766 I don't think a toner is a necessity.  😛

Hi @bonniebell2766 !  At 49 years old, I can tell you that no topically applied OTC toner (or serum, or cream) will work magic on deep forehead lines. For that, you gotta go the injectable route. You can try hydrating and moisturizing your skin as much as possible to plump it up, which can slightly soften the look of lines. An easy way to do that is to make sure your skin's damp when you apply moisturizer; this gives your moisturizer extra hydration to seal into your skin. 

Retinol (and other members of the retinoid/vitamin A family) can also help soften the look of lines, but it doesn't work nearly as fast or thoroughly as Botox. You can also try The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% Serum for Facial Wrinkles 1 oz/ 30 mL or The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL : they both contain argireline, a peptide that may relax certain muscles to soften lines. Note that argireline is no substitute for Botox, though. And I don't mean to sound like a Botox salesperson 😄 ... I haven't gone the injectable route either, partly because I'm a big baby about hypodermic needles pointed at my face. I love Buffet as a hydrating and peptides-boosting serum, and I use it almost daily. I also use a retinaldehyde serum (Avene RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream) nightly, though more for hyperpigmentation and texture balance than wrinkle reduction. 

Toners aren't necessary, depending on your particular skin behavior and need(s). I have mostly-dry combo skin that's very prone to dehydration and inflammation, so I need all the hydration I can get. I use a soothing toner (COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner) as a hydrating mist between each step of my skincare routine. My skin behaves best when I keep it damp throughout my routine, plus the hydration helps other products penetrate my skin. I don't use any astringent-type toners, nor do I use a toner to readjust pH (my cleansers aren't alkaline, so I don't need a post-wash pH adjustment). 

This is some really good advice and insight that I needed terribly...thank you so much for taking the time to share! 🙂

Hi, I am a Sephora Beauty Insider Community Ambassador! I've been  using the  Nuface device for the past few years and  I can say it's  been a wrinkle/age defying device. A perfect addition for your beauty routine. I also love The ordinary Emulsion Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion for night  treatment, it's been a favorite of mine since it has been available. All that along with a good LED light therapy and you are set. Hope that helps! 💜

NuFACE Mini Facial Toning Device Original 

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Nuface and their products have been on my wish list for quite some time...after reading your response I think it may be the perfect time for me to give it a shot before I go the botox route. Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! 🙂

Happy to help!!! 💕

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing