Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Skin care for a 62 year old?

62 and it shows. Never had that problem before, but after the last couple of years taking care of sick friends and family until their passing, its really starting to show. Naturally, I didn't take care of my skin like I should have and couldn't afford to anyway through all that. My skin is super dry, so I need a good moisturizer but I'd also like for it to do a little more than that. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Re: Skin care for a 62 year old?

@angelkhill I'm so sorry to hear about your difficult experience.  It sure is hard to even think about yourself when you're nursing a sick or elderly person.

However, you're in luck when it comes to skincare!  These days there are many more options than there used to be, at multiple price points.  Thanks to google, it's easier than ever to research skincare ingredients and make informed choices rather than falling for marketing hype.

The basic routine is to cleanse AM/PM, moisturize AM/PM, and apply sunscreen throughout the day.  My favorite drugstore moisturizer is CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion because it does the basics, but also contains skin-strengthening niacinamide and a few ceramides

cerave2.PNG

To up your game, start looking into additional active anti-aging ingredients.  Three tried-and-true ones with long histories of research and studies behind them are retinol, vitamin c, and glycolic acid.  There's lot of other ones to investigate but these are good starting points. 

Neutrogena has a nice anti-wrinkle cream containing retinol. 

neutrogena.PNG

Other options from Sephora:

Heavy duty moisturizers

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

First Aid Beauty Mini Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration 2 oz/ 56.7 g

Retinol

THE ORDINARY - Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane

The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

OBAGI CLINICAL - Retinol 0.5 Retexturizing Cream

Vitamin C

DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum

Glycolic acid

PETER THOMAS ROTH - 10% Glycolic Solutions Moisturizer

DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum

If it all seems too overwhelming, it might be nice to consult a dermatologist who can recommend and prescribe products to your specific skin type.  They have access to stuff that the rest of us can't get OTC!

And of course, this forum is a great resource.  A lot of BIC members here are knowledgeable about skincare, so not only are there a lot of great archived posts containing really useful information, but it's usually pretty easy to engage in active dialog.

RE: Skin care for a 62 year old?

My mom is obsessed with the orange line from Ole Henriksen!! It brightens, balanced and hydrates, and boosts collagen. (:
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • cerave2.PNG
  • neutrogena.PNG
testing