Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Sephora Credit Card

I'm going to say good bye to Sephora credit card after three-month use. Would like to share with all of my experience. To be simple: Don't use Sephora credit card! You have better choices.

1. I got approved immediately after opening the credit card. The BA helping me opening the account told me I could use the 15% discount immediately in store, with the temporary card. But, no, it didn't work until I received the formal card. I made many calls during that period of time since I have a urgent purchase. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

2. I enrolled in auto-pay not long after I received the formal card and created online account. At that time, the 1st billing statement was not available. I thought I was very safe since it's auto-pay. I don't need to memorize when to make the payment.

But until now, the auto-pay didn't work.

3. I tried to change the payment due date right after I created the online account. At the 1st try, the rep said the billing statement is not available so I was not able to change. During the time period when the 1st statement came out, I found I couldn't login online account. It was weird, since I used chrome to remember the ID and password. I called credit card center, the rep couldn't find a reason, so she helped me to delete the previous account, and asked me to create a new account. However, since I was going out of country for a planned vacation, also I was super busy on working, and the most important, I was enrolled in auto-pay, I thought I was safe because I had enough funds in the linked checking account.

4. After I returned back from vacation, I created new account and found the 1st statement was available. I called to ask for the change of due date, because I would like to be charged after my payroll date, and the due date of all my other credit cards are same. I would like to pay all my debts at the same day. The rep definitely didn't tell me any thing about the interest, late fee, etc. And according to my experience with other banks, it will take 1-2 pay cycles, which means, within 1-2 pay cycles, it will still charge on my previous due date, it will eventually change to new due date after 1-2 pay cycles. And the most important, I was enrolled in auto-pay so I thought I was safe.

5. I was still super busy after vacation and was always OT. I didn't find a time to review my statements until thanksgiving. And I found I was charged $46.xx interest, which I wasn't told during the phone call. The rep told me they provided a disclosure to announce "there might be financial cost". They might mailed me something, but it was after I called to change the due date. Also, to be honest, even I had time to read the disclosure, I don't think I will relate the "financial cost" with interest charged by due date change. I probably consider it as late charge fee. But I was super confident I won't be charged because of auto-pay.

6. My new due date is 2nd of every month. Today is Dec 2nd. I checked at night, after my work. I was not charged automatically. (Someone may ask why I don't pay manually, it's just because I want to make the autopay happen. If I pay manually, I need to test the autopay at next pay cycle.)

I called comenity. The rep said I need to ask my checking account bank. There's nothing they can do.

I used Chase checking account. And this account is used for auto-pay of all my credit card debts including amazon visa, discovery, apple mastercard. It is also used for auto-pay of my mortgage and HOA. All went through smoothly. There's only problem with Sephora credit card issued by comenity. I used to have similar problem with BofA, the BofA rep checked and fixed the problem from their side. They didn't say things like "go to ask your bank, there's nothing we can do".

7. I setup alerts online, requiring to send me message while there is a purchase. I did same thing to all my bank accounts especially credit card accounts. All works except Sephora credit card. I never received an alert from Sephora.

8. All in all, Sephora is good, Sephora credit card? - N!O!

Tags:

Re: Sephora Credit Card

Very helpful. I would like to add that every credit card account that a person opens decreases the average age of their credit history, and could cause their credit score to decrease for a while. I always think of whether or not the card I'm considering is worth lowering my credit score by a few points. What would I get in return? Is there any cash-back? Can I use the card for purchases in more than one category? Of course, if one's newest account is fewer than 6 months old, I'd recommend they'd wait to open a new account. Too many new accounts in a short period of time can affect the credit score as well. For me, personally, a brand-specific credit card is almost never worth it. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing