Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Retinols...Need a new vice.

I’m in the market for an effective new retinol serum. I’ve been using 40Carrots from the drugstore and enjoyed the results but ready to pump the gas. I have a crease between the brows that I’m pretty sure I was born with and some other small aging lines. Trying to stay ahead of time and looking for something that can be used during the day and/or night. Currently using Dr. Jart Liftra every other day/night. I cycle between 3 different face washes and moisturizers depending on skin dryness and use Neutrogena sunscreen daily.

Re: Retinols...Need a new vice.

Your best bet is actual prescription strength retinol. OTC retinols are much less effective. I recommend Curology. They are an online subscription that asks about your skincare needs and assigns a nurse to you. They prescribe you with a mix of up to three ingredients (mine is MAP, niacinimide, and tretinoin... currently .02% but am still building up tolerance for stronger). You pay once a month for a new bottle and can converse with your nurse about how your skin is doing and can ask for a boost in tretinoin when your skin adjusts. I love it. It was a convenient, affordable way to get prescription retinol.

@livvielou I agree with @ladystarkill3r about PTR Retinol...

@livvielou I agree with @ladystarkill3r about PTR Retinol Night Fusion. I started using it recently and really love it. It's not irritating which a lot of retinols can be.

I'm all about Shani Darden Retinol Reform, which has been super effective for me.  It has 5% retinol but it's actually surprisingly gentle.  I use it 3-4x a week (every other night), and it makes a noticeable difference.  (I hopped on the wagon when I read that January Jones, Jessica Alba, Chrissy Teigen, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley all used it.  Glad I did!)

@Lotus15 Hmm I just read some reviews on Shani's website,...

@Lotus15 Hmm I just read some reviews on Shani's website, it sounds pretty good. I'm such a skincare junkie. It has a higher retinol % then what I currently use, I cocktail retinol then Lactic ontop, do you think both would be too much if I switched to this product? What's your routine?

@Lotus15 I JUST ordered Algenist Liquid Collegen, I can't...

@Lotus15 I JUST ordered Algenist Liquid Collegen, I can't wait for it to get here. I didnt realize it had both retinol and lactic, I just read the reviews to be honest. I see you talk about skincare a lot and skincare is my passion. My night care regime is lengthy also but I find is calming and I can't imagine NOT doing it.

Re: @Lotus15 I JUST ordered Algenist Liquid Collegen, I can't...

@GG84 A friend gifted me the Liquid Collagen for Christmas... I squealed!  It has a bit of a fragrance which I wasn't expecting, but so far I'm liking it a lot.  Too soon to tell if it's had much of an effect yet (it's only been a week and a half), but I'll report back!

Re: @Lotus15 Hmm I just read some reviews on Shani's website,...

@GG84  The Shani Darden one contains both the retinol and lactic acid, so if you were to switch, you don't need to do the lactic acid separately.  I honestly really, really like it and I always feel like I wake up to such smooth skin after the nights I use it.  My nighttime routine is cleansing with Biologique Recherche Lait VIP 02 (it's a gentle milky cleanser; I have super dry cheeks) and the Foreo Luna, toning with rose water, an essence (right now Neogen Micro Ferment Essence), a serum (right now I'm trying the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair and alternating nights with the Algenist Liquid Collagen), then the retinol on the nights I use it, and moisturizer.  (Seems like a lot when I write it all down but I'm all about my nighttime ritual!  I find it really calming.)  

Thank you for sharing your routine! I'm trying to up my game a little and really learning so much. Skincare was a passion of mine for years but after a short hiatus (mostly bad self care) I feel like I am so out of the loop. 

I love reading about what works for others. I tend to have dryness on my cheeks as well and low key, looking for a gentler cleanser. Thanks for all the great advice!

@livvielou It's never too late to start.  I never cared about my skin at all (I didn't even have a cleanser... just washed with water) until about two years ago.  Now I'm obsessed.  🙂  On the topic of cleansers, milky cleansers are definitely the way to go for me.  They get everything off and leave you feeling clean but are gentle enough not to dry out my skin.  Aside from the BR one I'm using, I also like the Glossier Milky Jelly cleanser, another gentle but effective choice!

@livvielou I started using PTR PM fusion retinol and it's...

@livvielou I started using PTR PM fusion retinol and it's great. It has 1.5 % time released retinol (I appreciate they put the content on the bottle) so it isn't super drying or irritating. I saw good results after 2 weeks. It's not cheap ($65) but a lot cheaper than other products.

Re: @livvielou I started using PTR PM fusion retinol and it's...

Thanks! I’ve read several posts about PTR PM and it seems to be THE product. I love most PTR products so it seems like a natural move. I am curious about the Drunk Elephant line but with a $$$ tag I try to get some other opinions. 

@livvielou Drunk Elephant TLC Babyfacial is a retinol that people love. I personally use Good Genes which is a lactic acid and less harsh. If you love a retinol, I would reccomend the TLC. Both have cult followings-and for good reason. I would suggest you read up on each one to see what would be a better fit for you. 🖤

RE: Re: Retinols...Need a new vice.

Confused to babyfacial being a retinol? I just glanced through the ingredients and didn’t see it, it’s an AHA/BHA treatment to exfoliate is the only thing I saw? I do love it though! For a retinol product I recommend the Sunday Riley luna!
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 30 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing