Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Retinol?

I’m 35 and have read that I need to start using retinol in my regimen but I feel like I’ve tried it before and it made my skin super sensitive. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Retinol?

@Stephy2266 When using retinol ease into usage. Also apply on completely dry skin, not right after cleansing, moisture allows products to enter the skin layers faster and more irritation likely. Then wait awhile to apply moisturizer, use a basic non active one. Spf daily, due to sun sensitivity.

Some skin isn't a candidate for retinol nor daily usage, a few times a week may be enough, so definitely not a requirement to use.

There's also different strands, retinoids, some are gentler than others

RE: Retinol?

Yes!! I’ve always felt like the dryness that I experienced with retinol kind of counter productive, moisture qween over here! I am loving the biossance line! The serum contains Bakuchiol, which is plant-derived alternative to retinol. I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks so far and I love how my skin feels, no sensitivity! https://www.allure.com/story/what-is-bakuchiol-retinol-alternative/amp

@Stephy2266  Retinols are tricky!  The best thing to do is to start gradually with a low concentration.  I highly rec FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate

Start by applying it once every three days for two weeks, then once every two days, etc.  Be sure to follow up with a good moisturizer.  When I started Retin-A, I used CeraVe PM (rec'd by a derm) and it really helped.  Other good moisturizers are Cetaphil Night Moisturizer, and DRUNK ELEPHANT - Lala Retro™ Whipped Cream

Good luck!  🙂

RE: Re: Retinol?

Thank you! I will give it a try!

You're not alone, @Stephy2266. Retinols are very strong and not everyone's skin can handle them well. They are also one of those things where usage needs to be built up over time as well. Don't jump in to using it every night! Twice a week is plenty to start and make sure to use lots of hydrating products in conjunction as well as sunscreen daily.

RE: Re: Retinol?

Glad to hear I’m not the only one.. thanks for the info!
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing