Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Products & Makeup for Aging Skin

I’m 36 and recently my skin has completely changed. I’m stressed and overworking myself which doesn’t help. My wrinkles have become so noticeable on my forehead. My face is also exceptionally dry now. I also have sensitive skin. During the summer, I tend to become more oily in my t-zone. I used to use matte foundation but understand I should be using more dewy foundations now. Overall, I think I need an entire new skincare regimen and new makeup regimen. Any suggestions? 

Re: Products & Makeup for Aging Skin

@heyjessieeexo- Sending you sympathy since I'm in a similar work/life situation right now! In addition to seconding others' advice about seeing a doctor, I personally found it helpful to incorporate Hum Nutrition's Mighty Night into my routine. (They don't seem to have it on the website at the moment, but I got it from Sephora a few months ago, and I felt like it really improved my skin texture--and my ability to sleep deeply even though I was stressed.)

I also feel like Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL has been a good addition to my routine over the past few months, since I have combination skin but can use it all over my face without becoming greasy, even though I live in a tropical climate. (And while I use a retinol serum in addition to this, I've read that bakuchiol itself is a good substitute if your skin reacts too much to retinol.)

Best of luck!

Skincare Wise the first thing you want to consider is retinol. Retinol will help with wrinkles, acne, fine lines and texture. If you are worried about sensitive skin, there are lots of different retinols, different strengths and just start slowly and always use a good moisturizer. You can also try RetinAl which is closer to prescription retinol and less irritating. 

I love these retinols:

Drunk Elephant A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum 

Youth To The People Retinal + Niacinamide Youth Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Other things to include for a good well-aging skincare routine are hydrating serums, peptides and vitamin c serums. 

There are three things that come to mind.

1. If you are not using a sunscreen, begin using one right now! I’ve used a wide variety of sunscreens but am transitioning to the mineral type now for environmental reasons.  Make sure you are using plenty of sunscreen!

if you are already using a sunscreen, refresh it 2/3 times a day!  

It’s important to consider sunglasses as sunscreen and wear them when you go outside during the day. I don’t care how bad the weather is. Wear them.

2. I’d suggest going to a dermatologist and asking for a retiinoid type of cream for your face at night.

3. Do you feel you really need to use makeup that covers your skin? If so,  combine color with your moisturizer and use a light touch. Id suggest using a brush to apply it.  Nothing accentuates lines and wrinkles like heavy face makeup.

Good luck!

I was thinking the same thing - see your doctor for a referral to a dermatologist and see if there are concerns to be worried about. If nothing, maybe treating yourself to a facial; know their credentials, how long, etc..

For me, I’m expressive when I talk and my wrinkles are quite prominent; forehead, crow’s feet. Personally, I embrace them because there is no eraser. 🙂 I hope this helps 

@heyjessieeexo 

Sorry to be the goody two shoes, but have you seen your doctor lately?  Had routine blood work?  If not,  please do.  This sounds like what happened when my thyroid started getting wonky, but if not that, any sudden dramatic change in your skin health should prompt a check-up first and foremost.   It doesn't have to be a a serious health condition,  sometimes very small things will make big changes in our skin.

Agreed - and a doctor can order blood work for a few vitamin deficiencies that could be making skincare more challenging for you.  In the meantime, check out this line that I desperately wish Sephora would carry:

Derma e

Excellent, restorative products.  Check out the gentle microdermabrasion scrub...good luck!

@heyjessieeexo  On top of the excellent suggestions offered by @adebai and @SportyGirly125, I'd like to add that at age 58, I find that the best product I've used for anti-aging and brightening my complexion is the Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL. My skin responds better to it than retinol, as I'm a bit sensitive.

Anyhow, you're looking for an entire skincare and makeup regime. I find that I need to do some mix and match to find the right products. I don't like cleansers that strip all the oil out of my skin, even ones that are supposed to be gentle. So my favourite cleanser, which to me gives the perfect balance, is Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip French Green Clay Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL. My summer moisturizer would probably be too light for you (it's the Farmacy gel moisturizer), but in winter I adore Skinfix barrier+ Skin Barrier + Lightweight + Pore-Refining Refillable Gel Cream with B-L3™ which absolutely saved my skin after I inadvertently made it very red and sore by using a retinol product without sunscreen. Skinfix also offers a clay cleanser, which I'll likely try if Sunday Riley stops making my favourite. The line offers a nice little kit if you want to try out their products, the Skinfix Barrier+ Besties Hydrating and Nourishing Kit - I suggest that it would be a great starter for you. If you find that Skinfix products work for you, you can try their chemical exfoliants as well - sometimes you find the right product line and everything falls into place.

For makeup, once you get the right skincare, I think a lot of other things fall into place. For example, once you get the right moisturizer that hydrates well enough without leaving a film on the top of your skin, your foundation should go on well. I'm looking at the HUDA BEAUTY #FauxFilter Luminous Matte Foundation myself, though I haven't tried it yet. I think the matte, for the bit of t-zone oil I get, is the best bet, and the tiny bit of "shimmer" will brighten my complexion.

For the rest, I think there's no need to take the fun out of your makeup! It should make you feel good about it. The GUIDANCE, not RULE, for makeup for the more mature skin is to go softer - softer shades, more natural tones, blur things like eyeliner a little bit, and so on. Applying makeup like this is more forgiving, as it won't show up fine lines as much.

Lastly, hon, and I say this with a great deal of compassion and respect - sometimes we go through seasons in our lives that are high stress and high demand. That can't be avoided. But your absolute best beauty regime at such times is to do the best you can to get lots of sleep, drink lots of water, eat healthy meals, and squeeze in exercise where you can, even if it's just taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking further out and walking in. The best makeup and skincare in the world can't fix your complexion when your mind and body are badly stressed. Plus sleep, water, nutrition, and exercise all have directly beneficial effects on your skin.

Hang in there. You'll get through this. 💋

I have been using a retinol cream paired with glycolic acid for optimal results. You’d want to build it up to no more than 4 times a week. I find dr Dennis gross has very easily tolerated products. I use the ordinary glycolic acid. Sunscreen is a must when using retinol and glycolic acid. 

@heyjessieeexo You can add retinol and a vitamin c serum into your skincare routine

I use NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer  

Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Blur Face Primer Blur Primer Gold 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 39 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing