Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Oh Wise One Beauties

I have noticed in the past couple of years that my skin needs and makeup needs have changed as I'm getting older. Things that worked for me when I was younger especially for some makeup (yikes full on metallics) did not look super flattering anymore. So I thought it'd be cool to start a thread for those of us that are getting older to share makeup and skincare tips specifically for those embracing and adjusting to getting older. I feel like I went through an awkward phase when I was growing out my gray hair and adjusting to having some wrinkles on my face. Kind of like puberty haha. So I was thinking it would be fun to do a Top 5 tips list of the things that you've learned to add or modify to your beauty routine that you think really made a difference for you. Here are mine: 1. Natural brows - I found a more natural brow to be more flattering so I switched from a UD brow powder to Gimme Brow....and it's a must for me. I look so washed out without it even though its pretty natural looking. If you've never done a brow give it a try. 2 Likewise I find dark brown mascara so much more flattering and less harsh on my pale skin. Currently I'm using the glossy mascara and Jet Brown by Clinique. 3. No contour. I was watching a YouTube video with Brianna (sorry don't know her last name) and she was talking about as you age you lose fullness in your face so that you really want to avoid contouring... you want your face to look fuller. It may be a personal thing but that definitely was the case for me. 4. Using high quality natural makeup products. I never really gave much thought to make up having a negative effect on my skin but since switching to RMS products I find my skin is so much better. These products are really great for somebody over 45. They are creamy, natural looking, great ingredients, and with the coconut oil if that's okay for your skin it can really be like a treatment when you're putting on an eye polish or other product on during the day. Really really love this makeup and would never switch from it now. I do tend to have acne prone skin and I find that I have way less breakouts using it so it's worth giving a try even if you're not sure about the coconut oil. The pots seem small but last a really long time. 5. Taking good supplements and upping your skin care game. I'm vegetarian so I started taking Biotin supplement by biosil and I think that's improved my skin. I've also added more serums and moisturizers to my night time routine and I think it's helping. Other thing I'd recommend is trying some face yoga too. There is a free routine I found in Goop magazine and it really works quite well just doing 20 reps of 3 exercises most days. Looking forward to hearing other tips from my fellow beauties.

Re: Oh Wise One Beauties

Key things I’ve learned about my own 47 year old skin: 

1. Dry skin needs a hydrating cleanser, or at least one that won’t further dry skin out. 

Spoiler
For decades, I used Origins Check & Balances Frothy Face Wash. Early last year, it started causing more dry patches. I often say switching cleansers fixed half my dry skin issues. I’m not exaggerating. 🙂

I switched to Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Cleanser (heh, not because of its “anti-aging” claims) which plays much nicer with my skin. But even better than that (for me) is Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar—which is surprising because it contains honey, an ingredient my skin normally hates. But that bar works very well for me. Honey normally dries the heck outta my skin, but Pekee Bar contains enough other things to prevent that. 

2. Learn which ingredients irritate your current skin. 

Spoiler

My skin was always mildly sensitive, and I’ve always had a true allergic reaction to benzoyl peroxide, But in the last 7 years, my skin’s thrown more tantrums than usual. I’m sure some of that is hormonal. But I’ve also learned there are things, like honey, I either shouldn’t use at all or need to patch test for at least 3 weeks before trying all over my face.

If 3 or 4 products cause flaking, rashes, redness, etc., cross reference their ingredient lists and find commonalities. If you see a doctor about it, that info may help them identify your skin irritants or allergies.

3. Those lines aren’t going anywhere without injectables. 

Spoiler
I don’t mean “fine lines,” I mean wrinkles. No OTC product in a jar/tube/bottle will erase them. I’ve accepted my undereye wrinkles. I earned those lines, man! 😂 I just avoid products that hyper accentuate them, and I’ve got an undereye concealer routine that usually plays nice with them. 

Related tip: ALL concealers crease. ALL of them. Even the ones that claim they don’t. Oh sure, they won’t appear to crease on folks who don’t have many lines under their eyes, or whose lines are very shallow. But I’ve tried so many brands’ concealers (in various finishes) with various setting powders, I know their claims of “no creasing/creasless” are flat out lies for anyone who has deeper lines. The only way to keep concealer from creasing is to fill in your lines. And the only surefire way to do that is injectable fillers. Some primers might fill lines a bit, particularly silicone based primers. And I can use multiple layers of a highly hydrating/moisturizing eye cream/gel/oil to plump that skin up to do some line filling. But honestly, the best results require a needle. Again, nothing in a jar can duplicate the results of something like Juvaderm. 

4. Undereye concealer: for me, the youtube/instagram trend of slathering lots of concealer in that area doesn’t work. Even if it did, I lack the desire to do that on a regular basis. (I’m not saying no one should do it. Hey, it’s your face and makeup is fun, so do whatever you want!)

Spoiler
I prefer to use the tiniest amount of concealer necessary, and only in the places I need it. My undereyes are the driest skin on my face. The less makeup (and layers of makeup) I use under my eyes, the less cakey things get. I don’t bake my setting powder (I use the smallest bit of powder necessary) or use concealer as a highlighter on my forehead, nose, or upper lip. The center of my face is already naturally brighter than the perimeter, so I don’t need to “brighten” that area. 

Having said that, though...

5. Don’t let anyone mandate “people your age shouldn’t wear [makeup colors, concealer as highlighter, winged eyeliner, bold colorful or super smoky eyeshadow looks, blue lipstick, neon pink hair, or whatever the bleep else you wanna rock].” 

Spoiler
Decide that for yourself and wear whatever makes you feel happy, confident, etc. When folks offer up advice (solicited or not), remember that it’s just advice, not a mandate—and those people don’t live in your skin. 

Just because using lots of concealer under my eyes—or doing Charlotte Tilbury’s “triangle of light” technique—doesn’t work for me, doesn’t mean it won’t work for anyone else in their late 40s or older. There are common aging skin issues, sure, but not everyone’s skin ages at the same rate. People always tell me in person that my skin looks great. Psh, that’s just because most of my pores are small due to dry skin, and folks seem to overlook the larger pores on and around my oily nose. I know folks in their late 40s who have oily skin all over their face that hasn’t started to hollow out at all (unlike my undereye skin). I often suggest using less concealer under the eyes to reduce cakiness, but it’s just a suggestion. Folks need to decide for themselves—whether or not they try my suggestion—if that works fo them. I’m not the undereye concealer police, after all. 😂 Likewise, no one’s the police of my skin except me and maybe my dermatologist. 

RE: Oh Wise One Beauties

I LOVE this thread! Thanks for starting it! I’m 42, but went into surgical menopause 18months ago after a total hysterectomy. Needless to say my skin, and life drastically changed, fast! I have to put bio dentical estrogen gel on my arms nightly, but I still feel many menopause issues. It did remove my arm hair 😬 I started using Clinique religiously when I was 14, and still have good skin. Except since my surgery I’ve gotten a few brown age spots on my cheeks. I only wear foundation on a rare occasion, so I’m looking to get rid of them rather than just covering them. Any ideas? Suggestions? I totally agree with all you ladies that without proper skincare, even the best makeup won’t look amazing. I just purchased the Clinique Moisturizer ID and I’m in love. The moisturizer combines with a serum for your own skin concerns, and it’s just fabulous!!!

Hi @melanito,

This is such a wonderful thread.

1.) Skincare is the most important step. If your skin looks great, you'll need less makeup. Especially as you get older, if you don't take care of your skin, it shows.

2.)Less is more. You don't need smoky eyes and fake lashes everyday (if that's your thing, that's okay!). I can feel beautiful and comfortable with just tinted moisturizer and a bit of mascara some days.

3.)Focus on one feature. I like to either focus on highlighting my eyes with eye

shadow or my skin with a radiance powder. 

4.)Makeup is form of expression. Have fun, don't take it too seriously and if you mess up, you can always easily wash it off.

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

Hello all

I will be 59 in June.  Like you all I have had to revamp.my skin routine.  I have discovered that I need Quality moisturizers, specialty serums for eye area, as well as a  indispensable night routine.  Without the proper skin care routine, I can have the best makeup and brushes available and my face is still cakey, creased and crapey half way through the day.   

Hi @barbaramay,

I recommend making sure you are exfoliating, moisturizing and priming before you apply your makeup. These steps prep the skin for flawless makeup application. I hope this helps! 

Best,
Rebecca

In the last two years (hello hardcore perimenopause!) I’ve had some underlying collagen loss. Scars that I thought I had gotten away scot free from in childhood are now seeming canyons on my face. I’m still oily sometimes and I still get nasty hormonal acne, but I have dried out sooooo much. I’m finding myself adding lots of moisture within and without. Since starting on a better routine and feeding my skin with the Dr. Jart Ceramidin Creme it’s much much better. Even hubs has noticed that my face is softer and less oily (since it doesn’t have to overcompensate for a lack of moisture). As Cassandra says, “Moisturize me!”

Oh Wise One Beauties

You guys have covered many of the things that sprang to my mind. I love seeing other's thoughts about it, I'm always willing to try anything 😁 I was always hesitant to try facial oils, I thought they'd clog pores but I've been using them the last year and my skin loves it

Ok, I’ll play. I may have learned a thing or two over the years and I just had my 58th birthday two weeks ago...

1) Eyebrows are important. Especially at this age when they start thinning and get grayer. I use ABH Brow Wiz myself. Also, super important not to go too dark with your brows. Try to mimic what nature is doing, just do it better 

2) You probably don’t need a full coverage foundation. Something lighter and slightly dewier tends to look better and will be less likely to gather in lines and wrinkles

3) Regular gentle exfoliation works wonders on dry patches. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Liquid or Dr Jart Micro Milk Peel are effective and gentle. Scrubs can be too harsh

4) Bright and bold colored lipsticks can really brighten your complexion. Don’t think because you’re older you have to wear only MLBB shades

5) Embrace facial oils. They are so much more hydrating than typical moisturizers and lend a lovely glow to your skin

@jozkid   Excellent advice!

Thanks honey @Ispend2much6 !

@jozkid   I am going to address you as "Oh Wise One," on every message now. 🙂

@Ispend2much6  Wise A** is more like it! Lol!

@jozkid   You are too much!

That I am @Ispend2much6 !  🤣

Thank you for sharing! I am also 58 and nice to know more of us our age out there!😊

@melanito My skin changed so much around 30!  Suddenly I had acne worse than high school and developed eczema. Things I learned:

1 Like you, I learned quality really matters. The products from my 20s were replaced with Drunk Elephant eventually. It took a lot of trial and error to get there. I also use brands like Mario Badescu and Sunday Railey but my daily always includes a DE now. Quality does not mean expensive either. 

2 Don’t over exfoliate while battling skin changes. During finding 1, I did this and my skin went from combo to dry. That took a lot of time to correct. 

3 suttle boldness in makeup. Little pops of color can be mixed with neutral looks so I can look business professional while adding my own touch of personality. Again trial and error on that one lol

4 what you eat really really matters. I’ve been vegetarian since 13 and health conscious until I found myself working 12+ hour days and started eating too much quick junk food. Yeah it was vegetarian but still very unhealthy.  Take the extra 10 minutes to make or find a healthy option. It’s worth it. 

5never too old to try new things!  We will all hopefully get older. Don’t hesitate to have fun with makeup even if you don’t leave your house after doing so 

Which DE products do you recommend?. I know I had to go o...

Which DE products do you recommend?. I know I had to go on a low histamine diet over this past year and really cut out any processed food. Yeah you can totally eat junky as a vegetarian or vegan. Now I am adding some stuff back in.
Anonymous Insider

Hi. What is RMS?

RMS is carried in select stores I think in the US and is...

RMS is carried in select stores I think in the US and is available online in the US and Canada. It is created by Rosemarie Swift. She was doing makeup on Victoria's Secret models and observe that these young women with beautiful skin had makeup the cracked on their faces after a couple hours. Then she got sick and realized it was from all the cosmetics she used as a makeup artist. Then she endeavored to make her own line of products. Many supermodels use her products. The luminizers are exceptional for highlighters if you have older skin. I highly recommend them... the nice thing at Sephora is you can always return them if the color isn't right for you.

RE: RMS is carried in select stores I think in the US and is...

Thanks for sharing. My mind was unraveling trying to figure it out. So does Sephora carry RMS?
21 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 65 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
testing