Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Night Time Serum

I am 31 turning 32 I want to treat my skin better and wondering if anyone has any insight in what I need to buy for my face to help it age gracefully. 

Re: Night Time Serum

Everyone has given great recommendations. Snowflakefaerie has been very thorough and generous with her response/time. Her info should be especially helpful.

I am almost sixty and have no facial or neck wrinkles. I do have a bit of discoloration on the left side of my face. This is the side that gets all of the sun when driving. I credit my good skin to having worn sunscreen since I was about twenty-two years old. It was not in vogue at the time, so thankfully my grandmother preached about wearing sunscreen. Find a routine you can stick with every day. Products take six weeks to work, so don't give up after you have just started a product. Shop within your budget and it will be easier to replenish your stash. You won't go without a product until you can afford to repurchase it. Introduce products slowly. You will learn what your skin can tolerate. I save the box a product comes in because the ingredients are listed there. They aren't always on the product itself. I shop ingredients when looking for a new product. If you like You Tube, Dr. Dray is a dermatologist, who is young, informative, and entertaining. You will learn about products and ingredients by watching her.

I religiously use sunscreen and reapply during the day using Color Science powder sunscreen. I like Neutrogena and Aveeno from the drug store. Both lines have a full range of products for different skin types. I also like Clinique, Korres, Tara Harper and Sunday Riley. You can sign up for email at the various sites and get a percentage off of your first order. These lines are also available at Sephora. You can try them on your arm, inside of your elbow. Never use an open sample jar on your face!

Good luck! I know you will find products that will work for you! 

RE: Night Time Serum

The Sunday Riley Luna/good genes combo is amazing. But don't use it everyday! If you overuse it you look worse. Every few days should do it.

I love kielh's vitamin c serum... and they make an eye on...

I love kielh's vitamin c serum... and they make an eye one too... I'm 40 and i really belive they make a big difference!

Sunscreen! If you don't already use it religiously, start now. I'm in my mid-40s and have started using oil cleansers predominantly and rotate between retinoid treatment (The Ordinary) & Paula's Choice AHA gel at night. I also press rosehip oil into my skin after the treatments and before moisturizer. In the a.m., do a vitamin c serum (I use Mad Hippie) and sunscreen. Always sunscreen.

Re: RE: Night Time Serum

I was going to say the same exact thing! Sunscreen really makes the biggest difference on whether your skin ages gracefully or not. I've been wearing it daily since my teens (35 now), and I credit it with keeping the wrinkles at bay.

As pretty much everyone has mentioned AHAs, retinol, and antioxidants are key to cell turn over. But they also make your skin more susceptible to sun damage, so sunscreen is necessary if you use any of them. You'll also want to incorporate things slowly, one at a time and only using it every 3 days or so while you build up to more frequent use. 

I use Differin (retinol) every other night, rotating with Drunk Elephant's Framboos glycolic night serum (AHA). In the mornings, I use Drunk Elephant C-Firma vitamin C serum ( antioxidant) with either Tarteguard or Bare Minerals daily prep as SPF. Make sure you use a sunscreen with ATLEAST 30 SPF. I also use Super Goop Defense Mist to refresh my SPF during the day. I rotate my moisturizer based on how my skin is feeling and the season. Retinol and acids can dry out your skin, so you may need to buffer them with a moisturizer or oil to begin with. Moisturizers with hyaluronic acid can help provide extra moisturization if you need it. Face oils are nice to use at night as well. Everyone's skin is different, so it's kind of trial to find one you like. I have had success with argon oil. My skin is pretty tolerant so I also physically exfoliate my face once or twice a week with either Dermalogica's daily microfoliant or a clay mask (<3 glamglow and Origins rose clay ones).

Given that everyone's skin is different, you may not react well with someone else's holy grail product. I swear by Drunk Elephant, but many people on this board have had bad experiences with it. That's why it's key to start slowly, introducing products one at a time, so you can figure out what works for you. If you've never used an AHA, I'd recommend starting at a lower percentage formulation, or maybe starting with lactic acid instead of glycolic. This stuff can be expensive, so if you can get little foil or deluxe samples, it will save you the hassle of wasting a lot of money or returning barely used product that doesn't work for you. The Sephora favorite sets and travels sets are another option to try things out.

One more thing, an eye cream can also be very handy at keeping the little crows feet at bay, but like everything else, that's trial and error, too. One thing to keep in mind with eye creams is to stay away from samples from jars at Sephora. Something that close to your eyes should come from a sanitary container, i.e. pump or sealed sample container that no one has opened.

@BasicCasey I would start with the big three: Retinol, AHA and antioxidants.  Tag me if you'd like specific product recs!  🙂

Yes! If you have any brands or suggestions on what to use, I would appreciate some recommendations. 

I love philosophies "renewed hope in a jar" I also use their face wash called "purity". Those two things alone made the biggest difference in the way my face feels and looks! I have added in a retinal from dr. Brant and two skin care products from The Ordinary. The best YouTube to watch, for skin care, is Stephanie Nicole. She will tell you what each item will do for your skin and if the product is crap or not! I'm 33 for reference.

drink water.. seriously.. make sure you are hydrated.. Finding the right moisturizer is so important, and there are so many options! what is your skin type? 

Im 48, but my skin looks pretty good, and I swear its because I dont smoke, stay hydrated and moisturize religiously. To be honest my go to moisturizer is just a Apricot Kernel Oil, for my combo skin it works great.. I use other products. love Josie Maran, Korres and a few others.. get samples. The Glam Glow Masks are sooooo good.

try things out, but moisturize every day and keep it natural, honestly.. we dont need all that extra crap on our skin. 

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing