Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Need Foundation Advice! ASAP! Please Help!

Hey everyone! I was late to the make up & skin care game (finally started at like 35!). Im turning 40 in 3 months. I did switch from bareMinerals Original Loose Powder Mineral Foundation SPF 15  to bareMinerals BarePRO™ 24 hour Longwear Liquid Foundation with Mineral SPF 20 which is a bit too Matte for me but ok & also to bareMinerals COMPLEXION RESCUE® Tinted Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid and Mineral SPF 30 Cedar 11 (Birch 1.5, idk why it says 11). And I really like the natural look & how the coverage is build able. I switched bc I read that Liquid Foundation was better for aging skin. What's started happening recently (& it could be my primer Murad Invisiblur™ Perfecting Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ 1 oz/ 30 mL or maybe my moisturizer The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA ??) but it's bizarre & hard to describe but the foundation like gets flakey - Almost- like near my hairline. My skin isn't dry & I don't use much product at all. At first I thought it might be old so I got a new one & still have similar issues. Maybe I need to clean my brush more often?? Or could it be my primer or moisturizer that I need to switch? I really like Complexion Rescue but this is really getting to be an issue. Anyone have any ideas?? Or anyone in their late 30's early 40's out there who uses a similar formula foundation to reccommend?? I get overwhelmed with all the options & reading reviews makes it worse for me to choose when some people love it or just absolutely hate it! I could really use some advice on this!! Thank you in advance!! ♡

RE: Need Foundation Advice! ASAP! Please Help!

Mid-40s here I’m still searching for a reliable HG, but for now I’m using Ilia Skin Tint Serum spf 40, diluted somewhat with a drop or two of Korres Wild Rose Spotless Serum. They’re both called serums, but the ilia is most definitely a spf-dense foundation that also happens to contain actives, and the korres is most definitely a facial oil that also contains actives. The oil helps the skin tint’s spreadability & gives a glowiness that i like (a little goes a long way— too much and you just look greasy). The skin tint by itself is def more full-coverage and opaque, but it still looks like skin instead of makeup. This was from today, with just the skin tint, the facial oil and mascara. You can see it’s very dewy from the oil, but also that the foundation looks pretty natural.

Re: RE: Need Foundation Advice! ASAP! Please Help!

Omg you are so pretty 

Re: RE: Need Foundation Advice! ASAP! Please Help!

You look great! Thanks so much for responding! I will definitely be looking into your suggestions! You definitely don't look mid-40's!! Beautiful! 😊

Re: Need Foundation Advice! ASAP! Please Help!

I use bobbi brown vitamin enriched primer for my dry skin. I like a natural looking foundation. Currently using urban decay stay naked foundation. Pat mcgrath and laura mercier foundation's are also on the sheer side.

Anything full coverage,  I find,  looks cakey and settled into fine lines. 

Try Fenty....skin tint. Tinted moisturizers or bb creams. Use a light hand when applying on your face!

Yep same issue with heavier foundations! When I was young I liked a Matte look. I never thought I learn to like a less coverage more natural look & I totally do!!! I was thinking about trying Laura Mercier ... Thanks! 

In my early thirties but I have noticed that foundation settles very differently in my skin now than it did just five years ago. I mix a drop or two of a facial oil into foundations and have found that it helps a lot in foundation application, and can take down the matte-ness of foundations you own. Personally I really like Armani Luminous Silk and the Nars tinted moisturizer. 

I second the Armani!

I'm so glad I asked this question! I never really thought about adding a drop or two of oil! And isn't it crazy how fast our skin does change? I'm not the only one! Whew! LOL! THANK YOU! 😘

@BaseballJen you didn't list a price range so I've listed a few that I like. I'm 46 and have oily, acne prone skin. I try to pick medium to full coverage foundations that don't settle into wrinkles.

Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Customizable Set 

Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation 

Dior Dior Forever Skin Glow Foundation SPF 15 

La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20 

Thank you! I probably should have a price range but when it comes to stuff like this, I tend to throw caution to the wind (much to my husband's dismay! LOL!) - I do try to keep costs low by using Mainly The Ordinary & a couple inkey list products for my skin routine so I hope it kinda evens out cost wise! LOL! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it!! 

Hi!!

I am not in my 30s or 40s, but I do know a lot about foundation.

I have heard great things about the Nars Sheer Glow Foundation. I haven't tried it personality, but I have heard lots of positive things about it. 

For a cheaper option, maybe a skin veil might be good? I like the NYX Tinted Skin Veil.

Have you tried using a wrinkle cream on your skin? Or any sort of moisturizer? 

I hope this helps. Have a great day, beautiful! 

I definitely have an entire skincare routine I go thru! I splurge on Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum & Drunk Elephant A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL (which I only use a couple times a week) and then stick to The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum & The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% Serum for Facial Wrinkles 1 oz/ 30 mL with The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL and The INKEY List Retinol Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL The INKEY List Vitamin B, C, and E Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL so I'm pretty hydrated. My skin isn't super dry but any foundation too heavy will settle into my continually (it seems at least! LOL) forming wrinkles. Thank you for the Foundation help!! Much Appreciated!! 😁

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
testing