Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

I've used BareMinerals Original foundation since 2002 and I'm convinced that plus my sunscreen addiction is why my skin looks as good as it does. Added the primer when they came out with that. Now though I think my 40-year-old skin is too mature to pull off a powder even with the primer. I hate liquid foundation but will consider one that is reasonably healthy on skin like the one I use now. Thoughts?

Re: Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

I stopped using Bare Minerals powder as well, for pretty much the same reason you did. I tried to go with a Laura Mercier instead, then a Clinique: my results indicate that powders just don't work for me anymore. I was never a fan of liquid foundations but started a search there, beginning with tinted moisturizer (too slick looking), moved to lightweight BB's (again, oil slick central). I have finally settled on a CC+ by IT cosmetics, which has a thicker consistency but feels lightweight on, looks natural, and has staying power (read: not slick). If I need to tone down any shine I use a little of their bye bye pores pressed powder. Get Sephora to make you a sample of the CC+ in store.

Sounds like me! I started using pressed powder with a little concealer back in the early 2000s. My breakouts went away after ditching the liquid. I used Everyday Minerals for a short time and have been using Alima for at least 10 years. If you like the powder (I still do and I'm 50), you might try a different primer. MAC Skin (not the radiance) really melts with powder resulting in a smooth, non-powdery face. I get the primer shine after a few hours but that could be just me. 

For liquid, I've been using Smashbox BB cream with good results. It's a light to medium coverage but it doesn't bother my rosacea and has a pretty satin finish. The colors are a bit dark though. Fair would be good for light skintones where Light might be suited to somebody on the lighter side of medium.

RE: Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

If you hate liquid foundations it’s probably best to stay away from them. I don’t know what kind of coverage you’re looking for, but if you don’t mind a light coverage maybe consider a tinted moisturizer or BB cream instead. Or a lighter weight mineral foundation could also be nice. Bare Minerals looks really heavy on me but I have been having great luck with the Antonym mineral foundation.

I had this same problem, but a few years back. I was a loyal Bare Minerals user for years.

Let me tell you I have tried EVERY foundation.  I still have combination skin, but what has worked for me is something you might try.  MAC StudioFix SPF15 ($29).  It took me about 6 tried to get the right shade, but when you do, it will look invisible.  This has great coverage if you need it.  I also like the MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation which is supposed to be medium coverage, but it covers very well.  ($35)

But my holy grail is the Kevyn Aucoin Etherealist Foundation.  Holy cow!!! It is the most lightweight foundation that covers like a dream!!! Very pricey, ($58) but IMHO worth every penny!  And a bottle lasts forever.  I can't get over how lightweight it is and the coverage!!!!

This depends on each person.. I like liquids -- I prefer cream foundation or I blend BB/CC cream with moisturizer, sometimes add a mid-day spritz of water to look refreshed. I would say less is more. I tried using powder and it leaves me with creases. 

Anonymous Insider

I get it. I also have used Bare Minerals foundation for 20+ years. It worked great and never broke me out, but now it just isn't working for me. I just turned 45 and the make-up now looks like crape paper. I tried different moisturizers and primers, but it still looks horrible. I'm thinking about getting the Tarte Rainforest by the Sea foundation.

Anonymous Insider

Are you saying it makes you already makes you visibly look older or since you are turning 40 you think you need to change because of a myth beauty rule?  I'm older than you and BE original is still my goto foundation. One trick I use if I have a dry/bad skin day, take BE original and just mix it in with my moisturizer. It makes a nice tinted moisturizer and still get the benefits of BE powder.

Hi Blubird2.1. Have you ever experienced oxidation with B...

Hi Blubird2.1. Have you ever experienced oxidation with BE? I had used BE for probably 15 years when all of a sudden it began oxidizing on my skin. The Sephora SA told me in the nicest way that it was because of my hormones changing as I aged. I've never heard of anyone else complaining of it though.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Hi Blubird2.1. Have you ever experienced oxidation with B...

BE hasn't as of yet hasn't oxidized as of yet but my skin has "dried" out as I've become older. My foundations, liquid foundations especially, oxidize more when I had oiler skin. BE oxides less than other foundations have on my skin.

RE: Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

Considering your loyalty to the brand why not try bare minerals liquid foundation? If you haven't worn a liquid foundation for many years you might consider a water foundation [I like@Tarte] or a stick foundation. The theme here is something light on the skin with anti aging and sunscreen. What about mixing a little original powder foundation with their gel bb cream?
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

I tried the Bare Minerals liquid foundation once and it looked patchy by the afternoon.

RE: Re: RE: Mineral foundation for 15 years but now I'm 40. Help me switch!

So I decided to try a BarePro sample, and I’m glad I did. I only use a little bit in the crepey places under my eyes, and have stuck with original foundation powder everywhere else. Works great! The two products blend seamlessly. And at this rate, the sample should last till I’m 50—ha. Thanks everyone for your advice!
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing