Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Is 40 too late?

I have been asking myself this question about so many things! I am just starting to remember that I am a woman... not “just” a mom of many. I turned 40 this year. I would love to learn about skin care and make up. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start? TIA ❤️

** EDIT ** My skin is going through changes likely due to hormones. I have been pregnant and/or nursing for most of the last 14 yrs. I never had acne and now seem to get uncomfortable acne on the sides of my chin and the outer part of my forehead. I have noticed it’s more oily now. I am seeing fine wrinkles pop up but it’s my pores that bug me. They seem more visible then ever before. Hope this helps!

Re: Is 40 too late?

Ya’ll are so sweet and helpful!! Thank you!!!

@NiecyNBee it's never too late! For skincare you want to get a cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen you love (specifically the sunscreen!) And then you can add additional products or ingredients to target ant concerns you have. 

Really the biggest advice I see from dermatologists and aestheticians is wear sunscreen every day.

@NiecyNBee For skincare, I rec starting with antioxidants, AHA and retinol 🙂

@NiecyNBee As a Mom I know it's hard to find time for yourself sometimes so I dedicate time at night for myself.  You can always start by watching Youtube tutorials on makeup and skincare and take some free masterclasses that we post on this thread Virtual Masterclass Thread 

Hi @NiecyNBee!

It's never too late to start makeup!  You can check out the Virtual Masterclass Thread or the Eventbrite website for free virtual classes.  ABH has a free brow shaping consultation and HUDA has 1-on-1 makeup classes/consultations.

I also like watching Sephora IGTV tutorials on Instagram.  They're great for beginners!

@NiecyNBee  It’s never too late. For makeup as @quspork suggested, Start with you tube tutorials but initially I would stick to Wayne Goss and Lisa Eldridge as their tutorials are easy to follow and looks are more wearable.

For skincare Start with a good cleanser, toner,  moisturizer If you are not already using these. Then gradually add some light chemical exfoliation and serum to your routine depending on your skin type and concerns.
You can get plenty of great recommendations if you share a little more about your skin.

Hi! Thank you for the info! I edited to include info on my skin.

There are come great youtube tutorials on makeup application, @NiecyNBee. I'm partial to Wayne Goss, but there are plenty of good options. You can search the boards here to see some of the other recommendations. 

As far as products and routines, if you share your skin type and what issues you want to address the lovely people here can help suggest items that might work for you!

Hi! Thank you for the info! I edited to include info on my skin.

@NiecyNBee To start building a routine, I'd look at getting a moisturizer, a cleanser, and a sunscreen. Once you have those in place you can add in more targeted treatments to help with acne, wrinkles, pores, etc. Since you mentioned your skin being a little more on the oily side now, here are a few options:

Cleanser- philosophy Purity Made Simple First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL  Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml 

Moisturizer- CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion (this is my go-to for daytime use), Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream, belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb 1.68 oz/ 50 mL Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet 1.3 oz / 40 mL OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Sunscreen- MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen 1.7 oz   COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL 

Once you have the basics down, using a clay mask once or twice a week can help with oil. I'd also highly recommend trying double cleansing (especially when wearing makeup). My favorite oil cleanser is Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil w/ Grape Seed Oil 6 oz/ 180 mL - so luxurious and rinses cleanly. To help with pores and acne, I'd look at BHA/salicylic serums. A good one to start with might be SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing