Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

I’m Guy and I need Help

I’m 36, Single, Gay and I work in the outdoors all day, I don’t and haven’t ever cared for my skin. The combination between being careless and being too rugged for my own good, plus the lack of knowledge has lead me to believe and come to the reality that I’d I don’t start caring for my skin now, I won’t age too gracefully, considering all the damage. 

I’m noticing the expression “bacon strips” on my forehead get deeper, my skin has become more not dry but like dull, dark marks or scars at this point I’m unsure what they are, bottom line is I’m single and loving the life a single man and I feel like my face is hitting menopause a lot faster than the rest of my body lol.

So here’s my question’s:

1 what can I use for my skin (face) to help with protecting from future damage, helping alleviate aging sign’s.

2 what’s a good cleanser?

3. what in general can I do without requiring too much effort but delivery great results? 

Thanks I’m advance to anyone who takes the time to read my post, you’re brave lol, but more importantly to anyone who takes the time to offer some advice. I’m totally new this and I wanna purchase some stuff but don’t wanna just buy something without knowing what to get. Not a fan of going in stores. Thanks a million to everyone.

Re: I’m Guy and I need Help

A lot of people have mentioned sunscreen, get a spray sunscreen like habit or something of the like

because you need to reapply every 2 hours, especially if you’re sweating. 

You’re so strong❤️

Hi!!! I think it's great you are asking for help!

First thing...exfoliate! Peter Thomas Roth Peptide 21® Amino Acid Exfoliating Peel Pads 60 Pads  will help and they're so easy! apply the pad, wait one minute then rinse. use every other day until you get to everyday! This will help to smooth texture. I love it!

Second thing...retinol. Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL is AMAZING! Use at night only under a moisturizer.

Third...suncreen. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 2.5 oz / 73.9 mL will help so much to protect your skin and it feels (and looks) like nothing!

A really great, simple cleanser is the The Outset Gentle Micellar Antioxidant Cleanser 5 oz / 150 mL will work like a charm!

And since you're super new at this whole world of skincare, we do have virtual consultations with our Sephora PRO Team! We can help you with a clear, personalized routine that will give results. For real.

https://www.sephora.com/happening/services/OLR-CD__virtualmakeupservice_60min Here's the link in case you're interested! If not, reply here with any questions! We got you!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

(licensed ethetician since 1995)

@Fandueller787 try wearing a hat if you can, wide brim and with UV protection would be best. Wear sunscreen everyday, and reapply every two hours or as much as possible. I've been really liking the Thank You Farmer Water Sun Cream SPF 50 (if you're a Costco member they have a great deal for 2 for about $32). It's very lightweight and wont feel heavy if you have to reapply. Cerave and Cetaphil make great staple cleansers that are available pretty much anywhere. Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser is nice one, though pricier. Vitamin C and Retinol are the best in removing signs of aging but your skin might need to get used to them slowly so start once or twice a week. Vitamin C in the morning before sunscreen and Retinol at night before a good moisturizer. I like the Inkey list. It's affordable and you can get a feel for what you like and what you use the most without breaking the bank. The INKEY List 15% Vitamin C and EGF Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or The INKEY List 15% Vitamin C and EGF Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Get some micro dermabrasion treatments to get that dullness and discoloration off your skin quickly.  A few treatments can accomplish in a few weeks what a complex and expensive routine will take months of hard work to do.  Either microdermabrasion which uses tiny abrasive minerals, or hydrodermabrasion, which uses water kind of like a pressure washer, will remove the top layers of dead, damaged skin and make you look years younger immediately.  Think sandblasting and pressure washing and how quickly they make surfaces look brand new.

For a great cleanser that is gentle on your skin, you don't have to look further than CeraVe in any drugstore.  It's effective but won't dry you out.

As far as products go, sunscreen sunscreen and more sunscreen.  One formulated for your face, reapply at least every two hours and don't forget the backs of your ears and hands, these are often missed.  Whatever you can easily access, afford, and reapply, SPF 50.  Neutrogena makes popular ones.  You can buy more expensive ones if you want to, but they don't work any better.

I strongly advise getting at least one good sun hat with SPF protection and wearing it religiously.  You can buy these off Amazon or elsewhere online.

You will be surprised what a difference removing that dead damaged skin and simply protecting the skin underneath will do.  If you aren't satisfied with where that gets you, see a dermatologist about getting prescription Retin A to help turn back the clock.

Otherwise you're talking about really complicated routines that take months or years to get you results that won't be as effective as microdermabrasion, sunscreen, and prescription help.

Good luck!

@Fandueller787  Okay, sun damage is your biggest enemy so daily sunscreen use is your number one tool to prevent further damage. Use sunscreen everyday as the last step in your skincare regimen.  
I would start with a face peel to sloth off rough dry skin to reveal the fresher newer skin underneath.  Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Mini Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel 

I would start using these once a week after washing your face since you’re new to skincare.  Be sure to feel your face before and then after using these!  It’s wonderful the difference they make in your skin!  
A classic non drying face cleanser is fresh soy face cleanser.  fresh Soy pH-Balanced Hydrating Face Wash 8.4 oz/ 250 mL 

I reccomend a product with vitamin c in the mornings and one with retinol in the evenings to everyone.  Vitamin C will help fight free radicals and fade sunspots and discolouration, while retinol will help speed up cell turnover and increase collagen production.

Retinol is a product you need to ease into starting at a low percentage every other day and slowly increase as you tolerate it. it is exfoliating and can cause peeling faster than it stimulates cell turnover so it can initially cause redness and irritation.  If this happens reduce the frequency or dilute your retinol into another product.  As a general rule, a pea sized amount for your entire face is recommended. OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Barrier Booster Orange Ferment Vitamin C Essence 4 oz / 120 mL The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing