From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers

Does anyone believe that La Mer is actually worth the price? Take out the status and the beautiful packaging. Would you still purchase it?

LaMer

Re: Does anyone believe that La Mer is actually worth the price? Take out the status and the beautiful packaging. Would you still purchase i

Hi! The only product that in my opinion is worth every penny is their Eye treatment  - eye cream from dark circles. I would probably keep repurchasing it over and over again until some "clean" brand will come up with an eye cream that can give me the same result.

I tried also an essence ( old formulation) a complete waste of money and also a cream de la mer which was good as well.

Re: Does anyone believe that La Mer is actually worth the price? Take out the status and the beautiful packaging. Would you still purchase i

I’ve tried samples of 2 La Mer products. Both of them caused a bumpy reaction where I tested them on my face, and one caused a scaly patch. So no, I definitely don’t think La Mer is worth its price—for me. I’m sure the brand works great for some folks, but I’m not one of them. 

Like many other people, I’ve lightly researched La Mer ingredients. I haven’t done a deep dive or asked many dermatologists about La Mer. The only derm I mentioned La Mer’s famous cream to was quick to call it a waste of money because its star ingredient, “Miracle Broth” (um, seaweed), can be found in cheaper products, plus there are cheaper non-seaweed creams that contain similar (or in some cases, better) ingredients than La Mer’s. This derm had very little concern about La Mer’s mineral oil or petroleum jelly ingredients. Her much larger concern was the eucalyptus oil, which is listed 10th on Creme de la Mer’s list of 43 ingredients—higher than most of the cream’s most beneficial ingredients. 

As with any skincare product, regardless of its price range, always review the ingredients to determine whether or not it’s worth buying. La Mer’s cream could cost just $10 a jar and I still wouldn’t buy it. 

They have some kind of collagen lotion which I noticed visibly plumps my pores making them appear smaller. 

As as far as the moisturizers go, they didn’t do much for me. So I’d say yes to the toner/lotion and no to the moisturizer. 

@Lauderlover  I'm going to echo @suzyo as well.  I have, and really like, La Mer The Powder 0.28 oz/ 8 gOther than that I haven't been all that impressed.  I mean the products work, but not any better than similar products at lower price points.  

When I lived in the Midwest, I did not find it to be worth the price. However, I moved to LA five years ago, and during the winter here, particularly when high pressure systems over the deserts bring winds, I 100% find it to be worth the price. During that season, I'll buy a jar, love it, and just when the jar runs out and I am about to buy another, the season ends, and my regular moisturizers will do ;).

@Lauderlover  No, I do not due to it's petrochemical based formula as @suzyo mentioned.  I've heard some describe it (including sales people) as similar to Noxzema as far as feel and texture.  For whatever that is worth.  Anyway, the ingredients make it a hard pass for me and that would likely be the case with any make-up line La Mer has.  If you are considering it, I'd definitely try it first to see if you like it because in the end my opinion isn't the one that matters.  If you like it and are comfortable with the price point then most likely it would be worth it to you. I hope that helped and let us know if you decided to splurge!

@Lauderlover  I’ve tried the soft cream and the gel cream moisturizers and I didn’t think they were worth it.

@Lauderlover  Skincare wise, no. A lot of La Mer products list petroleum as one of the first few ingredients. I don't necessarily think petroleum is bad, but it is cheap. All the skincare products I tried are just meh. I like the setting powder I have however, and am still interested in the makeup products.

I'm with @suzyo on this one 😉

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 35 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing