Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Can changing my diet help brighten my skin?

As my skin ages, it has been getting duller. I really like the products I use--though I'm always glad to try a new one, so recommendations are welcome.  But I'm wondering if anyone has tips for food to eat, foods to avoid or any changes to my diet that might help improve the brightness of my skin as well.

BEST book i ever bought.....a friend and i fight over it...

BEST book i ever bought.....a friend and i fight over it all the time (as we are trying to fight the aging process INSIDE and out) is called "FEED YOUR SKIN STARVE YOUR WRINKLES" by Allison Tannis. Read it, lots of info on diet and skin. 🙂

I would say YES what you eat has a lot to do with how your skin looks.  remember the saying "you are what you eat" ?  check out dr. perricone, his products are great and he is all about skin care and diet.  his omega three vitamins are great, not to expensive, BUT his other ones are, so what i did was, buy  Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg, Acai 1000mg, L-Carnitine 500mg,and 50mg Zinc,Ester vitamin C.  By reading about his philosophy of skincare, i used the information about some of the antioxidants and vitamins that had to do with your skin and went to the drugstore, these antioxidants and  vitamins i bought were not expensive either, the most i paid was $6.99, except i did get his omega 3's.  Sephora has a kit from dr. perricone that is only $75.00, and a little goes along way, YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE after using this kit, and taking the above mentioned antioxidants and  vitamins..The kit will last you a pretty long time..  Good luck and watch what you eat. Have lots of fruits and veggies and fiber in your diet. Drink lots of water too.  If you can pick up one of his books, or go to his web-site, you'll learn more.   Also with taking the 50mg of ZINC, it helps  with the belly fat!! :]    i REALLY HOPE THIS WILL HELP, AS IT REALLY HELPED ME.. ps DO NOT BUY THE VITAMINS THAT SAY THEY ARE FOR SKIN AND HAIR, not the same. 

Besides the obvious, like eating a healthy, balanced diet...

Besides the obvious, like eating a healthy, balanced diet and having tons of water, there are certain foods that give you that 'glow' you're looking for.

Tomatos-  help your body replenish antioxidants.

Orangey foods- like carrots and sweet potatos are loaded with vitamin A, along with other nutrients.

Good fats- avocado, salmon, almonds.

Re: Besides the obvious, like eating a healthy, balanced diet...

pinkbeauty -- luckily I love all those foods! How convenient 🙂 Thanks for your help.

Absolutely! Most of this you have probably heard - drink...

Absolutely! Most of this you have probably heard - drink tons of water to flush out toxins. When you wake up drink hot water with a fresh lemon squeezed in it - this will also speed up the process of eliminating toxins. Vitamins A, C and E help skin so eat as many organic fruits and vegetables as possible. Many nuts are high in vitamin B complex - also great for your skin. The healthier you can eat the healthier your skin will look. Trust me - i have seen this with myself even on a week to week basis. The more hydrated and better i eat one week vs. another - i see the difference in my skin texture. Hope that helps!

Re: Absolutely! Most of this you have probably heard - drink...

Thanks Jilly! Great advice.

I've been experiencing the same thing.  I recently starte...

I've been experiencing the same thing.  I recently started using Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser every morning. It helps with flakes and dullness on the days I don't use a mask or exfoliating scrub.  Food wise, I've also started drinking more water ( I know, you've heard that one before) and tea, and eating fresh fruits and veggies that are high in antioxidants (spinach, grapes, berries etc).  I figure if these are things we're supposed to be eating and drinking to help prevent cancer they must be good for your body on more than one level.  It's only been a few weeks but my skin seems brighter and I've also had fewer breakouts. ( As a side bonus I also lost a couple of pounds!)

Hey LoloMi!   I know exactly what you mean about striving...

Hey LoloMi!

I know exactly what you mean about striving for brighter skin! I'm 26 now and have started to notice my skin being duller as well. One thing that I've changed that has seemed to work for me is increasing my water intake - I wasn't much of a water drinker to begin with but as we age, our skin can easily dry out so making sure you are hydrated is essential! As far as foods, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies - mostly organic. If I'm out, I try to drink regular V8 or the V8 Splash if at all possible.

What it comes down to is maintaining a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, and keeping your body active. Also, I try to eat yogurt in the mornings. It could be coincidence but since I've been doing these things, I have noticed a vast difference in my skin. Make sure to stay away from fried foods, trans fats, and make sure your saturated fat intake is low.

I know you were primarily looking for info on foods to eat or avoid but if you do ever feel like trying a new product, I absolutely love anything by L'Occitane - might be worth a try if you haven't before! 😃

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing