Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Applying eye cream / moisturizer

I’m on my mid 40s and my eyes are my biggest concern. I’ve tried Caudalie and Ren and just purchased Peter Thomas Roth potent c. What is the “right” way to apply eye cream? And why can’t you put some on your eyelids? My upper eye is a concern as much as my lower lid but the PTR cream I just bought says not to put it on upper lid. Love some advice and tips.

Re: Applying eye cream / moisturizer

I avoid applying Vitamin C directly to the eyelids. Timeless Q10 serum and CeraVe moisturizer cause no irritation (as well as having amazing anti-aging ingredients), figuring a little of the Vitamin C applied previously will still be on fingertips, I start applying the Q10 serum on the upper lids. The skin’s an organ, so probably enough of the skincare tough guys like Retin A and AHAs migrate past the orbital bone anyway. Good luck!

I'm 51 and use a Vitamin C serum, eye cream and Laneige on my eyelids and I've never had any irritation. Mind you, I use them sparingly and pat them on.  Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know.  

I assume there’s a greater chance of product seeping/migrating down into your eyes from your lids than creeping/migrating up from under your eyes. 🙂 

My eyes are easily irritated, so there aren’t many skincare products I can put on my lids. I use DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum each night but not on my lids, even though DDG claims it’s safe to use there. I tried that twice and my eyeballs weren’t amused, so now I use it only on my undereyes and outer corners. In colder weather, I love KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL as a nighttime undereye moisturizer, but I can’t use it during the day because my eyes are weirdly sensitive to it (not as big a deal at night when my eyes are closed), and I definitely can’t use even the tiniest amount of it on my lids. 

The only lid moisturizer my eyes tolerate well is e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil. I tap a teeny tiny bit of it on my lids each morning and night. You could try doing the same with a facial/beauty oil. Something like Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL could work well for this. 

My daytime eye cream is Biossance Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel. I put a very small bit—half a rice grain—onto each ring finger, then gently tap it under my eyes and on the outer corners. I follow my orbital bone and also apply the cream slightly below that bone. Now that it’s warmer, my nighttime eye cream is just my full face moisturizer (Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 mL ). In colder temps, I roll the Kora Noni Radiant Eye Oil (it has a rollerball applicator) under my eyes and then gently tap it into my skin. 

Hope some of this helped! 

@WinglessOne   That's a great idea about using the squalane for the eyelids!  I'm going to try that.

@TLMtlm  Drunk Elephant Shaba as well as C-Tango can be applied on lids, all around 360 around eyes

Drunk Elephant C-Tango™ Vitamin C Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

Nit able to tag Shaba right now

RE: Applying eye cream / moisturizer

Dennis gross makes an eye serum that specifically says you can use on your eye lids. I use it and I’m happy with it. So far I haven’t found anything else that says you can use on your lids

I put eye cream under my eyes. I would not put on top eye lid if it says not to because that area might be extra sensitive. Also, it might end up getting in your eye I.e. trickle down. Does the PTR have retinol? If so, that might be why. I think some other brands might have options for upper eye but am not sure. I would look at la mer, lancer, or dermalogica

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing