Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Anyone know about The Ordinary Granactive 2% Emulsion Serum??

This question may have been asked before but I am curious. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL Serum is just out of stock everywhere and has been for quite some time now!! It's my go-to for retinol products as I'm kinda new to them. Did they stop making it or what is up with that?? If you know anything I would greatly appreciate the help! 

Also, i have a sample size of Drunk Elephant A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL and have yet to use it as I am hesitant because of the warnings that it can irritate your skin. Who has used this and what are your impressions? Also at what point in your skincare routine do you use it. 

I usually use a mix of The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 1 oz/ 30 mL and The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL plus The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL before putting on the Retinoid Serum and usually a moisturizer but I did just discover Murad Invisiblur™ Perfecting Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ 1 oz/ 30 mL which acts as a moisturizer, primer and sunscreen - and I definitely like it. I still use a moisturizer at night usually Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  but I had been looking for something that would minimize my morning routine! It looks great and it works ... also helps with anti-aging on multiple levels! 

But if I wanted to try the DE retinol ... where would it go in my routine?? (I'm 39 and only got into beauty/skincare at 34! Late bloomer with a lot of catching up to do!) Would I use it simply instead of the Granactive Retinoid Emulsion?? And has anyone had a problem with using it? I don't have particularly sensitive skin but am curious as to your experiences! The reviews for items often get me all turned around! 😂

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and I'd greatly appreciate any advice! Have a great day everyone!! 😁😘

RE: Anyone know about The Ordinary Granactive 2% Emulsion Serum??

Hi! I also had a relatively non sensitive skin (before prescription strength retinoid). I started with the ordinary granactive retinoid solution, i have used about 2-3 bottles i think. Went smoothly without any irritation. I used it pretty much by itself right after cleaning my face, followed by some refular moisturizer. I then got a drunk elephant retinol, the small tube lasted me a while. First time i put that on, it felt a little itchy on the skin (like a light burning sensation). I used a pea size amount directly onto skin, which is what i did with The Ordinary Granactive retinoid. It did break me out right away, but i ended up modifying the routine by mixing DE retinol with moisturizer: about pea size amount of DE retinol and a pump of moisturizer (DE hydration boost or olay hydration serum). Worked very well and did not experience any break outs or irritation after that. I started at 2x/week and then increased to daily with no issues. I recently switched to prescription retinoid, which def felt stronger (which is why i think my skin is more sensitive now). DE worked very well as introduction to prescription strength. Just work it with moisturizer, avoid aha/bha or any acids/other exfoliants on the same night as retinoid. I usually just clean my face, use toner/essence, then retinoid+basic moisturizer. With prescription strength i also slather with aquafor cream at the end hahaha everything to avoid purging badly.

Re: Anyone know about The Ordinary Granactive 2% Emulsion Serum??

Hey @BaseballJen the granactive retinoid by the ordinary is supposed to be super gentle and an intro retinol from what I hear (we can't get it in Canada). Granactive retinoid actually is one step away from retinol so there is less irritation overall.

What I've read about the drunk elephant is that it is actually one of the stronger retinols - it sits at a 1% which if you're comparing to the ordinary retinols is the highest strength you can get. 

Personally I'd go with something a little weaker to avoid purging and irritation and go with something like the First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate or the Obagi Clinical Retinol 0.5 Retexturizing Cream and work your way up.

If you do want to go with drunk elephant first you can use a Niacinamide serum first which can help with redness and irritation or apply your moisturizer first and then apply your retinol. In the end though you want to adjust your routine and order based on how your skin feels.

Thanks that's really helpful @meou! I definitely don't wa...

Thanks that's really helpful @meou! I definitely don't want to jump head first into one of the strongest retinol out there! I will definitely be looking into the ones you suggested!! 😘💋 But have you (or has anyone??) heard anything about #The Ordinary Granactive 2% Emulsion Serum?? No one has it in stock anywhere & they haven't for quite sometime! Are they not making it anymore?? thanks!!

Re: Thanks that's really helpful @meou! I definitely don't wa...

@BaseballJen I haven't seen the granactive for sale in awhile (honestly The Ordinary hasn't been doing a lot of restocks on a lot of their products since COVID started back in march) but it also isn't available for sale in Canada regardless so it's not something I've ever seen.  I haven't heard any noise about it being discontinued though 

Re: Thanks that's really helpful @meou! I definitely don't wa...

@BaseballJen its not the granactive but The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL just came back into stock today. I picked up a bottle lol

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing