From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers

Any suggestions on products for dark spots and acne scarring?

Back in my adolescence I had problems with acne and, unfortunately, I still struggle with it from time to time at 27 years old but any suggestions on acne scarring? Also, when I was pregnant with my son and post partum I noticed that I gained dark spots on parts of my face, I’m not sure if it was from hormonal balance during pregnancy because before I was pregnant I never had this problem. Any suggestions on decreasing the appearance of dark spots because I am soooooo self cauntious of them... thanks:)

Re: Any suggestions on products for dark spots and acne scarring?

@NanRomero08 Melasma (dark spots) is a very common ocurance during pregnancy. Vitamin C products help with lightening dark spots, but you should also make sure you’re wearing a 30+ spf sunscreen everyday, as well. Sun exposure can make the dark spots worse and cause new ones to develop. I personally love the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum, but it’s expensive and doesn’t work for everyone. If you have never used vitamin C before, start slowly, using it once a week to see how your skin reacts. Korres, Biossance, Sunday Riley, and Ole Henriksen all make popular vit C serums.

Hydroquinone is another thing that can help reduce pigmentation, but it does have draw backs. Mural makes a serum with it, that might work if vitamin C isn’t strong enough for you.

With respect to the acne and scarring, I would look in to a chemical exfoliant with AHAs.  I prefer ones with glycolic acid, others prefer lactic acid. They come in many forms from toners, to peels or masks, or serums. It might take some experimenting to find which you like best. The above brands also have popular AHA products. Like vitamin C, start slowly and you MUST use sunscreen daily with these because they sensitize your skin to the sun. 

ETA: definitely check with your doctor before using these products if you are breastfeeding. I know some of these active skincare products are no-no’s to use if you are pregnant, but I’m not sure about if you are breastfeeding.

RE: Re: Any suggestions on products for dark spots and acne scarring?

@snowflakeaerie, thank you so much for your very informative response, I will definitely look into what you suggested. So when you say to try vitamin c, do you mean to try it as an active ingredient in the products you suggested? I recently received the sample of Sunday Riley rapid flash serum and I read that it contains vitamin c. I use this twice a day, in the morning and night, is that too much? Do you have any recommendations for a sunscreen containing moisturizer? Thank you.

Re: RE: Re: Any suggestions on products for dark spots and acne scarring?

@NanRomero08,sorry for the vagueness, but yes, I mean to look for products with vitamin c by the brands I suggested. The Sunday Riley CEO serum is definitely a good start. If your skin is tolerating using it twice a day, that’s great. It does also contain glycolic acid, though probably not in great quantities. If you end up using a stronger AHA, I would only use the CEO in the morning, at least until you know how your skin tolerates everything. Over exposing your skin to active ingredients can just make it too sensitive and backfire on you.

One thing to know is the CEO serum uses a derivative of vitamin C, which is gentler on your skin. If you aren’t seeing the results you want after a few months, I’d consider finding a product that uses l-ascorbic acid (pure vit C), if your skin can tolerate it. The thing to be aware of is that the pure form oxidizes really easily when combined with water, so make sure your product is in a tube or pump instead of a jar to reduce oxidation.

Regarding sunscreens, I use a separate moisturizer and sunscreen. My skin is finicky and changes needs in summer vs winter, so I like to have flexibility with moisturizers. On top of that, I also prefer mineral sunscreen, with low, or no silicones, and at least 30spf, which is hard to find in a moisturizer combo. I really love tarte’s tarteguard 30 SPF lotion. If you want a combo, check out Josie Maran, Skin Laundry, First Aid Beauty, or maybe Dr Dennis Gross. Lots of people on the boards love the Josie Maran Argan Daily moisturizer SPF 47.

Sorry to be so verbose; I always give tmi! 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing