Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Age Defiers

Anti-aging and Acne

I'm 33 and interested in using anti-aging products, yet I'm still fighting acne. What is the best product for me to use?

I can relate to your issues and needs. I used retinol pro...

I can relate to your issues and needs. I used retinol products when I was younger, but the past couple of years they began to make my skin very dry, particularly around where laugh lines would be and my chin.  I had switched to DDF glycolic face wash & toner, but sadly Sephora has recently stopped carrying the DDF brand.  I have recently switched to PTR glycolic toner and like it better than the DDF version.  I wash my face with a Clarisonic Mia 2 using Boscia black detoxifying cleanser and murad refreshing cleanser (i alternate between the two by using one at night & one in the morning).  NOTE: for a couple weeks the detoxifying wash may increase acne as it is purging your skin of deep dirt & oil, but this should subside to clearer skin & complexion).  Heavy salaciic cleaners make acne worse for me so I stay away from them.  However, my staple acne treatment is DDF benzoyl peroxide cream, which I will have to purchase from amazon going forward since the brand isn't with Sephora any longer.  I will also add that since using Boscia & Murad, I do not have to use the benzoil peroxide cream everyday now.  The benzoil peroxide cream is the only thing I haven't found a replacement for at Sephora.  (NOTE: I tried proactiv, it worked BUT bleached my sheets, pillow cases, clothing, towels, etc...I was NOT pleased).  The DDF benzoil peroxide cream DOES NOT bleach anything & works extremely well.  A good moisturizer that doesn't flair your acne will be important as well.  I recently switched to Dr Jart bb cream (SPF 45, PA+++) to help with aging & acne plus Algenist moisturizer.  I am in love with the Dr. Jart & Algenist products!  My coworkers actually noticed a difference in my skin after switching my products.

I wish you much success in your search and hope you find some helpful information in all the posts to your question.

Hello Basiemen ,   I too would recommend the PTR FACE CL...

basiemen79 wrote:

I'm 33 and interested in using anti-aging products, yet I'm still fighting acne. What is the best product for me to use?

Hello Basiemen ,

I too would recommend the PTR FACE CLEANSER it has Salycis and Glycolic acid and will have anti-acne , anti=discoloration and anti=aging effects .  Of course this is only a face wash and at 33 I would also invest in a Night Cream such as the ones offered here on Sephora .

For a Night Cream (anti-aging) I recommend you apply a Retinol containing product (such as Roc Retinol available in the supermaket ) and then a good anti-aging night cream such as the ones offered by L'OCCITANE on sephora.  The important thing is to wash your face twice a day and use some kind of anti-ance face wash along with a night cream.

These are the best choices for your age.  And Good luck ! Smiley Happy

ANtoine

The best place to also start would be looking for cleanse...

The best place to also start would be looking for cleansers with glycolic acid in them, you'll be amazed what your skin looks like just after a couple of weeks.

You could try a retinol product. Retinoids are a derivati...

You could try a retinol product. Retinoids are a derivative of vitamin A and work amazingly for acne and wrinkles since they speed up cell turnover. Be warned that you need to start slow otherwise your skin might react harshly in the form of redness and irritation, dryness, flaking, etc. Once your skin gets use to it though it does not take long to start seeing results. If this is something you try please remember to wear a sunscreen as your skin might be more sensitive (plus sun protection is the best preventative for avoiding wrinkles!) 

Good luck to you!

There are ALOT of anti aging lines that carry oil free mo...

There are ALOT of anti aging lines that carry oil free moisturizers as a part of the whole regimen, How much are you wanting to invest? Investing in good skin care is going to save you money in the long run but I know not everyone can do that. And please do not use any sort of retinol products before you discuss it with a doctor or dermaologist.

Last year my mother gave me her cream (Revitol) because t...

Last year my mother gave me her cream (Revitol) because the company was sending her extra bottles for free! Sadly they still are, not sure if she just got lucky. It took about 2/3 weeks to start to notice results. I was applying the cream on my skin once every night. Then started to apply it twice (morning/night). I am very happy with the results. I do hide it in my bathroom so none of my friends don't judge me though.

I would suggest he Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cleanser...

I would suggest he Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cleanser as it has natural salicylic acid which controls acne without striping the skin. It leaves my skin clean and balanced, not tight. I also use it in its full concentration as a spot treatment on blemishes when I go to bed...works like a charm!!

I also use their Quercetin and Oak Mattifying Fluid Lotion as my daily moisturiser. It has made a noticeable difference in the elasticity of my skin and the light texture keeps the blemishes under control

I have literally tried EVERYTHING and this combo is the best!!

Retinols and Glycolic can create hyper-sensitivity to sun resulting in more spots.....Quercetin offers the same benefit without irritation and doesn't make you more susceptible to sun damage.

Hi there!   It might be worth your while to try using pro...

Hi there!

It might be worth your while to try using products that contain Glycolic acid.  While it can be drying, it helps with acne AND aging, so it sounds to be right up your alley!

I was going to suggest DDF's Glycolic Acid cleanser, but when I did a search so I could post a link for you, I couldn't find it---perhaps it was discontinued?  Anyway, Peter Thomas Roth has a 3% Glycolic cleanser that may help you.  I'd look into it!

Peter Thomas Roth - Glycolic Acid 3% Facial Wash

http://www.sephora.com/glycolic-acid-3-facial-wash-P3574?skuId=37341

Also, have you ever heard of/tried using the Clarisonic brush?  It's basically a spinning brush that you use while cleansing that helps exfoliate the skin and helps give a cleanser wash.  It has done wonders for my skin!

Clarisonic - Mia™ Skin Cleansing System

http://www.sephora.com/mia-skin-cleansing-system-P285163

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Retinol does help combat many aging factors, but for some...

Retinol does help combat many aging factors, but for someone who may not be used to the product it can cause a bit of sensitivity. Milder forms like vitamin A and retinly palmitate are more gentle to skin and in a variety of skin care products such as creams, lotions, and serums.

For something to treat the acne, try using an alpha/beta hydroxy face wash. Alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy acids help to gently exfoliate the skin chemically without the aid of harsh scrubbing ingredients like sugar granuals or ground up nut shell powder and it also helps to increase cell turn over a more steady rate to soften the look of wrinkles over time and give way to smoother skin.

Peter Thomas Roth makes a great gel based cleanser (which gel bases are great for oily/acne prone skin as it blasts through oil easier than a cream based cleanser) which helps to treat aging and acne factors.

http://www.sephora.com/anti-aging-cleansing-gel-P39274?skuId=571265

Glycolic acid (alpha hydroxy) are fruit sugars/proteins that help brighten the complexion and salicylic acid (beta hydroxy) helps with the acne. I am a big fan of that cleanser and love how refreshing it feels.

If you have a break out, try using a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide, which helps to introduce oxygen to the clogged pore to help clear skin, Neutrogena's On the Spot Treatment (in the white tube) is great for that as it has a mild but effective dose without overpowering and drying out skin. There are also tons of salicylic acid treatments out there, I feel like it's over kill if you're getting it in your cleanser already, but there's also sulphur, which is making a way into more acne treatments. Murad and Dermalogica both have spot treatments with sulphur which are great to dry out white heads in a matter of hours.

If you do pick a retinol based treatment, try to use it at night to start off and if you choose to find a day time formula, follow it up with SPF as it does make skin sensitive and you don't want sensitive skin exposed to UV damage. Peter Thomas Roth also has a great kit with the cleanser and their PM retinol treatment.

http://www.sephora.com/age-defense-kit-P266128?skuId=1272798

I started using retinol creams when I was 24 for the purp...

I started using retinol creams when I was 24 for the purpose of preventing wrinkles and it turns out they worked beautifully on my acne! If this is something you end up trying I would suggest starting out very slow with a mild dose (my skin revolted at first with burning and itching, but then I just worked myself up from there). Good luck!

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors