Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Advice for younger Beauties?

As we age (like fine wine!) we learn more about our skin due to trial by fire, advances in beauty ands science, and by what we think we see in the mirror. Many times, we focus on the small flaws or ride the hype but learn, later, that it wasn't what we thought. If there was one piece of advice you could pass down to younger Beauties or even other beauties in the same age range, what would it be? Mine? Moisturize inside and out. Skin is the largest organ and it needs hydration.

Re: Advice for younger Beauties?

My tips for younger folks

1. Hydration, inside and out. Lots of water, and lots of lotion/cream. 

1-A. Use a cream, even if you’re oily. If you don’t, your skin will dry out, then overproduce oil. Even a light lotion can keep your skin from being too oily.

2. Don’t smoke

3. Sunscreen, always. 

4. Sunglasses, because you can indeed get a form of skin cancer on your eyes. Seriously, google it.

5. Unless you have acne skin, don’t wash your face in the morning. If your pillow is clean, and you’ve washed the night before, you don’t need to wash your face in the morning. I splash on some water, and that’s all. Micellar water would also work for an AM cleaning.

6. SLEEP!!!

7. Enjoy cosmetics while you can. When you get older, too much makeup can age you. 

8. Simple facial massage while you apply your moisturizer 

RE: Advice for younger Beauties?

Sunscreen. At least SPF 30 everyday on face, neck, décolletage, AND hands. I am going to be 41 next month and I’ve been wearing daily sunscreen since I was 24. I have zero crows feet and minimal fine lines. Moisturize well at night, during the day protect your skin. And no tanning!

Here's one: makeup is as much (or even more) about accentuating your best features as it is about covering "flaws". Sculpt those already-gorgeous cheekbones, play up your naturally long, thick lashes even more, wear highlighter on your cupid's bow, wear a subtle luminizer on well-cared-for skin.

Anyone who says you're "showing off" is projecting their own fears onto you, which is often a useful piece information to have anyway.

It's a cliche, but DON'T pick at your zits as I did when I was a teenager! You'll be dealing with the scars and discoloration for decades down the road. And if you like how something looks, don't let anyone tell you it's "wrong". Makeup is about creativity and personal expression, not following a universal rule book.

@Anonymous maybe this thread will help.

@HazelEyedQueen. I agree with some other posts about sunscreen, sunscreen and sunscreen!! From someone who loved sun and swimming,.and later payed by having melanoma, even when it's cloudy, wear sunscreen.  Also,.hydration is so important and if you want to stay wrinkle free, never smoke! Your lungs and arteries will thank you too! 

Congratulations on winning that battle! I had to learn that my makeup didn't contain enough sunscreen to protect me throughout the day. It's a really important step in self care!

I like this topic @HazelEyedQueen!

1. Skincare shouldn't be trendy - find what works for YOU not whats the new 'IT' product

2. There are no quick fixes, regular routines will help maintain healthy skin

3. 'Natural' does not mean better. Read the ingredients, know what you are applying/consuming in the name of beauty

4. Wash your face. Daily.

Thank you!

I love all of your points and completely agree. I see a lot of faddish skincare regimens and wonder why people buy them. To each their own, but be nice to your skin. 

Moisturize! You are never to young to start a morning or night regimen!!! Never go to bed with your makeup on. Drink tons of water. Be careful removing your lashes (I use coconut oil) and if it seems to good to be true (miracle treatment) it probably is. Also, you stop sweating the small stuff as you get older (I am turning 42 this year). Take risk now! Do what makes you happy. Buck the “trends” and if someone tells you, “you are to old for XXX” don’t listen!!

Agree! I'm just starting to get into makeup heavy and, if...

Agree! I'm just starting to get into makeup heavy and, if I listened to all of the "women over *insert age" do this...", I'd never figure out what I like on me.

1) Protect your skin from the sun - broad spectrum sunscreen every darn day. And avoid direct exposure in the summer from 10am to 4pm when UV rays are at their peak. 2) Start using Retin A* - it’s what the FDA recommends for reversing wrinkles and UV damage. Retin A is by Rx only but it’s super cheap! * you need to use it indefinitely or for a minimum of six months 3) vitamin C - check out products from The Ordinary

There's a definite difference between retinol and Retin A...

There's a definite difference between retinol and Retin A. I spoke to my dermatologist about the things that annoyed me and about purchasing retinol. He told me two things 1. I'm paying too much attention to small things on my face. Lol. And 2. That Retin A was great for my skin and and he'd, gladly, keep a script up for me. Wrinkles, dark spots, oiliness, pores... It's not a miracle cream burrus any mittens but it does address several issues well.

@HazelEyedQueen Cross reference info you get...there's a lot of misinformation out there!

Absolutely agree! Especially if it sounds too good to be...

Absolutely agree! Especially if it sounds too good to be true. "This illuminating moisturizer is made with the tears of enchanted elves and will make you look 10 years younger in seven days". 😧

Re: Absolutely agree! Especially if it sounds too good to be...

Yes! Or when people recommend products they haven't tried or even seen, just because they're popular.

💦Moisturize, drink water, take your makeup off at the end of every day, double cleanse at night, get a good nights sleep, don’t smoke. (For overall great skin and just health in general)

💄Take risks with your makeup! Try something completely different out of your comfort zone, you might discover your new favourite. (This advice is for everyone, not just the younger crowd- if you dont like something, it just washes off)

I, finally, stepped out of neautral tone comfort zone and...

I, finally, stepped out of neautral tone comfort zone and loved it!

Oooh great thread idea @HazelEyedQueen!

Mine is: yes it's an old saying, but if you keep making that face it really will freeze like that... so take the time to think a bit about the ways you habitually express yourself (says the person with actual Colbert-face expression lines 🤨🤨🤨)!

P.S.: Sunscreen. Always. Whatever your skin tone. Health is priceless.

And thank you! I'm still learning and enjoying the site a...

And thank you! I'm still learning and enjoying the site and getting to speak with other beauties in the community.
25 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 100 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing