Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

A-Passioni - skin texture with makeup

Hi there! I've been using Drunk Elephant A-Passioni to great effect for the last 2 months. Quarantine and being makeupless has been a great opportunity to get used to the product. I've had very little in the way of irritation, a little bit of flakiness but nothing major. 

I've started to wear a bit of makeup here and there over the last couple weeks, and when I put foundation on it's like lizard skin! I don't notice flakiness/dryness when I'm makeupless, but OMG the texturization that is revealed when I put foundation on is AWFUL.  Is this something that will go away the longer I use retinol, or is this just how my skin will always look?

I exfoliate regularly (I use both the Boscia exfoliating peel gel and Lush ocean salt to cover both chemical and physical exfoliation) and I use good skin care (DE Lala Retro, DE B-Hydra, Kiehl's Midnight Recovery oil, Glow Recipe avocado melt eye cream) so I'm not sure what more I can do on that front.

Does retinol use = exaggerated texture with makeup? I want to keep using retinol for anti-aging but not if I have to forever deal with lizard skin when I use foundation!

RE: A-Passioni - skin texture with makeup

Hey, try to use a very thick moisturizer on top of the retinol. Ive been using AHA for more than 10 years (I still use the babyfacial once a week) and 3 years ago I switched to retinol and this started happening and it’s super normal. Once I started using a very good hydration system on top of the retinol the problem disappeared. REN overnight Recovery Balm works miracles! And I always mix 2 drops of Rose Hip Oil too to the REN + APassioni + Vit C. Hope this helps!

I had the same problem with retinol and foundation. Even though I haven't use the DE A-passioni yet, but whatever retinol I use from Paula's choice clinical 1% retinol treatment to Sunday Riley A+ high dose serum or luna sleeping night oil, etc... I got bumpy skin under foundation, and only under foundation. My skin is combination, oily on the T zone and very dry on the cheeks. I find that adding primer and setting spray help. Or if you don't have a lot of imperfections that need to cover, use only concealer. You can also reduce the usage of retinol to every other day or twice a week. Exfoliating once a week. I also add caudaline grape water before applying make up to moisten my skin. Hope that help!

I had the same problem with retinol and foundation, even though I haven't use the DE A-passioni yet. But whatever retinol I use from Paula's choice clinical 1% retinol treatment to Sunday Riley A+ high dose serum or luna sleeping night oil, etc... I got bumpy skin under foundation, and only under foundation. I find that adding primer help. Or if you don't have a lot of imperfections that need to cover, use only concealer. You can also reduce the usage of retinol to every other day or twice a week. Exfoliating once a week. I also add caudaline grape water before applying make up to moisten my skin. Hope that help!

Re: A-Passioni - skin texture with makeup

@paprikapapaya 

I didn’t like DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream to be honest. I thought it was a reaction I had to the retinol and not a side effect but basically what you are describing happened to me also. I’m not new to retinol so I found it strange. 
I will say that the exfoliation is likely making it worse. On instinct when you see dry skin you want to reach for an exfoliant but in this case you need to let your skin heal. 
I’ve used several retinol’s since but my favourite always comes back to DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Wrinkle Recovery Overnight Serum. I put a layer of Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL before and after and never have any flaky patches. 

Re: A-Passioni - skin texture with makeup

@GG84 Am I correct in understanding that you found the  DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream to be especially "irritating" for a 1% retinol?  The reason I ask is that I'm bumping up my retinol from from .5% to 1% on one area of my face, and I used a sample I got of the A-Passioni.  I'm also a seasoned retinol user, and I thought the "ouch" factor was especially strong - after just one use.  I'm not sure if I should just power through it like I usually do, or seek out other 1% retinol products.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing