Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

what helps with acne scarring??

i have super deep scarring on both cheeks and forehead from picking at my breakouts when i was younger. im currently trying bio oil to help but its making my already oily skin more oily. Can someone give more recommendations or tips or anything! Im tired of seeing the scars everyday.  

Re: what helps with acne scarring??

are you still breaking out? I think the important part would be to control your acne. Adapalene may help with some superficial scars. You can try home chemical peels to assist with removing some light physical scars. I think Dr. Gross daily peel was somewhat helpful. 

Depending on the depth of your scars you're more than likely not going to be able to find anything invasive enough on Sephora to really help you. I'm 27 and have been suffering with acne since my mid-20's. I've gotten about 3 eMatrix Laser Resurfacing treatments done to treat my deep scars which has helped with my skin texture but unfortunately since I still suffer with active acne I will probably need to receive more treatments in the future. With that said, I have found that using an Adapalene Topical at night does slowing over time help with superficial and deep scaring but I mean it may take months before you see results for your deep scars. It's also going to take you through a horrible purge of hell phase where you will break out like crazy because it's bringing clogged pores to the surfaces. But unless you are an essential worker, I'd go ahead and try to get through the worst of the purging phase while you're in quarantine. The only other suggestion is to purchase an at home Microderm product like PMD - Personal Microderm Pro. I personally haven't bought one yet but am considering it and the reviews are really good. I've had professional Microderm done before on my face and my face looked amazing afterwards. Sorry thing was so long, but hope I helped 🙂

@pmha Acne hyperpigmentation could be treated with vitamin C and chemical exfoliants, but textural scarring like ice pick scars or boxcar scars can't be treated with topical skincare products and like @sockmagnet says, I highly recommend consulting a dermatologist to discuss treatment (e.g. laser treatments). The cost may seem high but you'll see more improvement than spending the exact same amount on skincare.

RE: what helps with acne scarring??

Not quite two weeks ago, I started using Origins Night-A-Mins, and have already seen a dramatic improvement in mine. I haven’t had any issues with more breakouts and have combination skin that’s usually fairly sensitive to newer products.

I've heard that Vitamin C products are supposed to decrease old scarring. Haven't tried it yet on my skin but I've heard good things. I'm just starting to try out Rosehip oil on my scars because thataylaa from YouTube has sworn by it to almost completely make her scarring disappear. For reference, I too have oily skin. If you're interested, I can update in a reply how the vitamin c serum and rosehip oil work on my scarring.
Anonymous Insider

Acne scarring may require RF ablation with NanoRF treatments. I would suggest Melarase creams (AM and PM) to help with pigmentation followed by Vbeam laser and RF treatments if your derm thinks its appropriate.

Hi @pmha,

I recommend trying the MURAD - Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel. I have found this works quickly and effectively. I hope this helps! 

Best,
Rebecca 

at night use glycolic acid pads, a high % like the brand Pixi. your skin will be irritated because it is a chemical exfoliant. wash it off after a few minutes. use vitamin E, use like 2-3 drops, rub it between your fingers and PAT it into your skin. Don't rub, just pat. Do the same thing with vitamin C

Bio oil will definitely make your skin oily, but it shouldn't persist after washing your face - I've always used it after an evening/night time shower for that reason. I have had very good experiences treating very ugly scars from chickenpox and a mole removal where I accidentally pulled the stitches. However, it takes about a year to really see a huge improvement. 

I would honestly suggest that you at least have an initial consultation with a dermatologist and get their opinion on the best form of treatment for your skin as you are far more likely to get the results you are looking for that way. 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing