Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

stubborn pimples/zits

I have two pimples/zits on my cheeks and NOTHING IS WORKING. I've been using benzoyl peroxide in the morning, and 2% salicylic acid and Tretinoin at night. It's been a few weeks since I got them and they're so stubborn. Those products that I mentioned above don't make a difference. Help!

Re: stubborn pimples/zits

Have you tried a 10% sulfur treatment, like Mario Badescu Drying Lotion or Kate Somerville EradiKate Acne Spot Treatment?  The drugstore version of those is called Bye Bye Blemish.  Apply it at night (it looks a lot like calamine lotion) and during the day use a benzoyl peroxide 10% treatment several times a day (only on the acne itself as a spot treatment).  

While I use daily all over face treatments like 2% salicylic acid, lower concentrations of benzoyl peroxide, or 10% glycolic acid, those are great for prevention but once in a while a really stubborn one slips through, and that's when I bring out the big guns.

I'm not sure if I want to use sulfur. My stubborn pimples already have dry flakes around it and I have a feeling that the sulfur will turn my pimples into the Sahara Desert. Smiley Very Happy

Yup, it's a tradeoff, and all those spot treatments are pretty drying.  The big stubborn ones are the worst, it's impossible to cover them up especially with the dry flakes!  Last year my face was so bad that it took me nearly an hour in the mornings not to look totally gross with a combination of concealers and foundation!  For me though my skin recovers from the dryness faster than the acne would take to go away by itself.

I use the MB Drying lotion as well and everything has been great. I never get any dryness afterwards. 

I second MD drying lotion.

last year up to a few months ago, i had a couple of deep cystic spots on my chin. they were stubborn suckers, and would seemingly go away, yet i could tell there was something still there deep under the surface. lo and behold, one or both would pop up again within weeks, and they were ANGRY. and they're gone now. no trace. you know what finally helped ? i applied facial oil directly on them. within a day or two, one came to a head (significant because it was one of those deep hard type of zits) and completely cleared itself out, the other one just disappeared. go to target (super target has better supplies, so a super target if you can) and just get the boots botanics facial oil--it's not expensive so it's a good way to test if this is a method that your skin may respond to. at home at night, apply directly to the spots. odds are, the spots will drink it right up. continue to apply whenever you notice it's been absorbed completely. see what happens. i can't guarantee anything but it was a revelation to me, and i think it may be worth a shot for you. 

think in terms of nourishing skin rather than beating into submission Smiley Happy

I've seen you recommend the Boots oil many times! I think I'll have to try it soon Smiley Wink

Do you think tea tree oil would work too? A lot of people say that it has anti bacterial properties. 

i definitely recommend trying both ! the boots oil has rosehip which is good for discoloration (redness) that zits leave behind, too. 

I've tried both Pure Organic Tea Tree Oil as well as Lavender Oil and didn't notice a huge difference. Maybe you'll have better luck.

We use it around here, but in the Dr Bronners soap. I think it is a little over drying, so I have recently switched to a coconut oil based formula. Also said to be anti-bacterial. Smiley Wink

There is definitely a lot to be said for not over treating the area.  I agree with jemly, if you aren't adding back moisture and are using 3 treatments that dry the skin, it will have trouble healing itself.  Just think of your lips when they're chapped.  We know we need to add a lot of good moisture in that instance.  We seem to forget though when it comes to a pimple because we've heard over and over to "dry them up".  Using alcohol and peroxide on open skin will actually make it take longer to heal so be careful of that as well!

I have those every now and then.. and its very very annoying everyone hates them Smiley Sad 

if they don't go away on their own after about a week or two, honestly the only thing that has worked in the past is to work out without anything on the face, wash, either go to sauna or do steam towels. 

its usually "ready" by that time, so I pop them and rinse repeatedly with ice water 

Yikes on popping cysts, I tried that once and never again because of the scar it left.

This may not be the most healthy way of treating pimples, but I sometimes use a rubbing alcohol pad, the sterile ones that nurses use to prep you for shots, to wipe down the pimple. Works like a charm for me, but it is really harsh and can sting like a bee. Disclaimer, I am not recommending this, but sharing my ways. A q-tip soaked in some rubbing alcohol can be used as a spot treatment. Gently rub the pimple and follow with a moisturizer.

I've done that too and it works 

Won't work for cystic acne since the root cause is a hard piece of tissue the body has generated. Does work wonders to dry out whiteheads though! I keep around a whole box of the Walgreens pledglet swabs just for that reason.

If they've been there awhile, I'd suggest seeing your derm or gp and getting something prescription. Clindoxyl gel is a combo antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide, it's worked for me!

@Jessicaclara...I agree with you 100% that the best thing to do is to see a dermatologist.

According to my dermie, u shouldnt use salicylic acid and tretinoin at the same time. Maybe try using SA in the morning and not at night to let the full strength of the tretinoin go to work on your pimples? Just a thought.

i have also had good success with Glamglow supermud as a spot treatment. It is cray-cray priced, though, and you've already written below that u don't want to dry it out any further.

it may be time to go to the dermie. I have had the cortisone shot in the pimple before by the dermie for stubborn acne. Wish I could be more helpful, since you're always so helpful to everyone here!

Thanks! I just remembered that I have a mask that I should use on my spots. Thanks for reminding me! haha Smiley Happy

59 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • upload_1157774273929029580.jpg
  • megzit.gif
  • yp6XhNT.gif
  • WP_20140724_015[1].jpg