Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
Anonymous Insider

let's talk about cosmetic products for children.

let's talk about cosmetic products for children. What brands do you prefer? Is it a good idea to allow to use children mom's adult cosmetic?

Re: let's talk about cosmetic products for children.

@Anonymous My mom wore a full face of makeup most everyday, so I was exposed to cosmetics early on.  In fact, she used to sit my baby sister just outside the bathroom so she could put on her makeup and watch the baby at the same time.  I personally think it's fine for children to play with makeup, but I don't have children so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt!  Since you posted this in the acne thread, I wonder if you are asking about makeup to cover blemishes?  If so, I think good skincare is the first concern.  Then, finding any appropriate would come second.  Sometimes I think younger children with acne are more interested in covering it up b/c they might think it's more conspicuous.

@Anonymous I don’t think I showed any interest in makeup until I was 6th grade-ish and really all I wanted was glitter lip gloss and glitter for my eyes. Nail polish of course, I think I wore that all through my childhood. It wasn’t until high school I started wearing more, mascara, powder foundation, etc. My mom would give me the items in her GWP from Clinique to play with because that’s all she wore. It wasn’t until college that I started really getting in to makeup, and it took over my life in my 20’s (😳😂). 

This is just my own personal opinion, but I think it’s more important to teach tweens good hygiene before looking at makeup, so talking about skincare for their ever changing skin and showing them how to take care of their skin as they age. A lot of kids with acne and trouble skin look to makeup to cover it up, but today’s skincare for acne is so much better than it used to be. I am a high school teacher and there are very few kids with noticeable acne. In fact - kids have great skin! I’m almost jealous hahahah. Until a child starts asking about make up and wondering about it, in more than just a play time capacity, I don’t think there is really any need to introduce it. 

@Anonymous Agree with @SportyGirly125 - my mom started letting me wear minimal makeup like concealer and lipgloss when I was around 12. It was mostly drug store then and that was before the drug store really had so many awesome options as well! My mom did let me use her lipsticks but anything for the eyes is definitely at risk of spreading a lot of bacteria and I wouldn't share tools or anything since teenagers are prone to breakouts 

@Anonymous my Mom didn’t let me wear makeup till I was in junior high and that was very minimum. I started off with drug store products like Cover Girl, Maybelline and. Revlon. 

It is not sanitary for children to use their Mom’s product because of bacteria. If you want to share makeup you have to make sure it is sanitized. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing