Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

acne treatments on a budget?

At twenty years old, my skin has only just now become oily and my pores have started growing in size. I've never had to deal with serious acne issues, but for almost six months now, I've had  an almost permanent breakout around my mouth and on my chin, with seriously visible pores on my nose and t-zone. My cheeks are fairly dry, but even they end up coated in a thin layer of oil by the end of the day. Drugstore products, while fitting wonderfully into my budget, just don't seem to cut the mustard anymore. Any suggestions? I want clear skin desperately, but I'd really like to avoid breaking the bank in the process.

Clinique isn't too pricey and their classic 3-step system...

Clinique isn't too pricey and their classic 3-step system works beautifully. There's also an acne version. It's also one of the cheaper regimens offered at sephora. Clinique Acne Solutions Kit is only $30 and you get to try all of the products.

Other good sets:

REN ClearCalm 3 Anti-Blemish Starter Kit ($40 Value), $24

The Body Shop Tea Tree 4-Piece Facial Skin-Care Regime — Blemished Skin ($44 Value), $29

Peter Thomas Roth Blemish Buster Kit ($51 Value), $35

Bliss No 'Zit' Sherlock Complete Acne System ($47 Value), $32

Philosophy Completely Clear Skin System ($53 Value), $35

GoClear 3-Step Acne and Blemish Regimen ($50 Value), $40

Hope this helps!!

Good Luck!!

xoxo, Charlotte

Some of the best acne-fighting products I've used are the...

Some of the best acne-fighting products I've used are the ones I'm going to list below.  I understand how they can get pricey, so you could choose just the cleanser perhaps and see if it is enough to zap your acne without having to add the other products. 

Start out with Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Cleanser which is a daily foaming cleanser with powerful botanicals for combination/oily skin types.  It dissolves impurities, refines enlarged pores, and clears blackheads and whiteheads while controlling excess oil, leaving your skin squeaky clean.  You can find it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P9523&categoryId=B70

Then I would use Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner which is an effective blackhead and oil extractor that is so effective it only needs to be used two to three times a week.  It helps loosen blackheads by absorbing dirt and excess oil.  It leaves your complexion smooth, clear and refined.  This deep cleansing essential contains alpha and beta hydroxyl acids, silicone dioxide, and eijitsu rose for maximum pore clarifying performance.  You can find it here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P236007&categoryId=B70

Finally, I would follow-up with Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner which is an instantly effective, mattifying pore refiner that also doubles as an excellent makeup primer and will not clog your pores or cause breakouts.  This product smoothes and evens your skin's texture, providing a matte finish with or without makeup.  Its infusions of microspheres and flaxseed effectively shrink pores, absorb oil and keep shine at bay. You can find it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P139005&categoryId=B70

Hope this helps and have a great day!
tenngal 🙂

I know what you mean by on a budget. Even though I am usi...

I know what you mean by on a budget. Even though I am using Philosophy's On a Clear Day, it's $65 not including tax. It works well, but I run out of some of the products in the kit really quickly. Like the other person has suggested, The Body Shop has a cheap kit, but I cannot vouch for how effective it is. You can try Murad, if you haven't already. Even though it has a purging period, it's a good place to start. I especially like Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion included in the kit. I know Clinique Acne Solutions is also cheap, but it uses benzoyl peroxide. I'm not a fan of products that use benzoyl, but your skin may tolerate it better than my skin. I hope this helps and good luck!

Fortunately, Sephora sells a line of very effective acne-...

Fortunately, Sephora sells a line of very effective acne-fighting oil-controlling skincare products that actually are affordable. The Body Shop "Tea Tree Oil" skincare product line helps mattify oily skin, treat existing breakouts and keep new ones from forming. Sephora sells a set that includes a complete regimen of these products for a great value: The Body Shop "Tea Tree 4-Piece Facial Skin-Care Regime — Blemished Skin" (Sephora Product Page) For less than $30, you get:

- 8.4 oz Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash: a cleanser that sweeps away oil and gives you a deep clean 
- 8.4 oz Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner: using this after cleansing wipes away any excess impurities that can lead to breakouts.
- 1.69 oz Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion: this face lotion gives you moisture where you need it, but also mattifies oily skin so your face will be less shiny throughout the day.
- 0.33 oz Tea Tree Oil: a spot treatment that reduces the appearance of blemishes overnight and gets rid of them completely within a few days.

Sephora also sells these 4 products separately if you'd rather not try the whole regimen at once. Also, since exfoliating regularly also helps prevent breakouts, I recommend The Body Shop "Tea Tree Skin Clearing Exfoliating Pads" (Sephora Product Page) which are an ideal exfoliating treatment for blemished and oily skin. 

I've used all these Tea Tree products myself, and can personally vouch that they do decrease breakouts, help skin stay less oily, even out skintone and help make pores less visible. And for such an affordable price, you just can't beat them! I hope this helps you! Smiley Happy

Do you use a moisturizer of any kind?  Cause if not, it c...

Do you use a moisturizer of any kind?  Cause if not, it could be your skin overcompensating in oil production for lack of moisture.  See if something like a gel moisturizer (oil free) into the routine helps.

From the information given, seeing a dermatologist might be the most beneficial advice.  You can always request that you would like to stick to non prescription products.  Some even provide a list of recommended drugstore brands.  Plus they will be able to give a more accurate analysis of your skin type.  It could be dry skin not being treated right as mentioned above. 

Best of luck.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing