Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

acne scar treatment

hello!! i’ve had some pretty bad acne over the years and have been on accutane twice because of it. my skin is the best it’s ever been now, but i have a few pretty dark scars along with redness and hyperpigmentation that just won’t go away. i’ve tried retin a and other topicals prescribed by my dermatologist, but my skin always gets terribly dry no matter how much moisturizer i put on. i use the Supergoop! Superscreen Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA+++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL anytime i go outside. anyways, i’ve been thinking about purchasing the The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum . i’ve read so many great things about it, but i’ve also read that it can cause skin purging from the use of a new active ingredient. almost everyone that said their skin purged explained that they used the product every morning and night, but i plan to only use it 3-4 times a week. has anyone used this product for scars? if so, what was your experience like?

Re: acne scar treatment

Look into Drunk Elephant C-Firma™ Fresh Day Serum  , Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  , Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum , The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL , The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL , Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Texture Renewal Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL  all of those products are great for evening or skin and Texture,  as well as discoloration.  Best part is most of those products you can mix and make your own skin care smoothie.  The peels are amazing.

I suggest patch testing if you buy The Ordinary Niacinimide treatment. It did not cause me purging but left my skin burning and inflamed. I have sensitive skin and apparently have a sensitivity to niacinamide. I didn't realize that for a while, though...it did not do much for my hyperpigmentation. Also, if you have sensitivity or issues with niacinamide and switch sunscreens, check new sunscreens for it. A lot of the prestige brand sunscreens use it in their formulation. I think niacinamide is overhyped. 

I use tretinoin and azelaic acid for hyperpigmentation, and those both work well. While I use prescription strength azelaic acid (15%), The Ordinary sells an over-the-counter azelaic acid. I use a higher level, but it has not caused me any skin irritation. It does take some time to see results, though. I also chemically exfoliate with the Paula's Choice glycolic acid (2-3 times a week), which has helped my skin a lot. However, if your skin is dry or irritated and you have never used a chemical exfoliant, I would start with a PHA such as the Inkey List's PHA toner or the Paula's Choice Liquid BHA exfoliant. 

hiii, for scars i love love love using the murad invisiscar!! perfect.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing