Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

acne prone skin emergency! (acne prone, oily)

Hi, so I have some questions for my skin concerns. I’m using the cerave sa cleanser, following with the sa lotion. and it’s been about 1 week since i’ve used it. i thought my pimples were going away, but the redness and the pimples just won’t go away. i’m not really sure what i can do. so i ordered some products from the ordinary and it just got delivered. i’m going to use them from tonight. i ordered their toner (there is only one toner), niacinamide serum, hyaluronic serum, and lastly their lactic acid 10% serum. do you think there is something wrong with my skincare?

Re: acne prone skin emergency! (acne prone, oily)

@victoriako2 I'd advise slowing down. You're about to throw several exfoliating acids on your face when you're already using a couple and it could lead to severe irritation. To start, you mention the SA cleanser and SA lotion. I'd actually recommend switching those out for a gentle cleanser and plain gel moisturizer and then using a leave-on BHA/salicylic acid treatment. SA cleansers often aren't effective enough since they get washed off and the lotion probably isn't formulated to be the best BHA exfoliant. There are lots of good options for leave-on BHA treatments-- CosRx Blackhead Power Liquid, Paula's Choice Mini Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 1 oz/ 30 mL, SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads. You'll want to focus on getting your base routine of cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen going before adding in too many treatment options, to help keep your skin from getting irritated or damaged. But keep in mind, that it can take a few weeks to start seeing changes in your skin. Since it's only been 1 week, you may just need additional time to see real effects. 

In regards to the Ordinary products, in general you want to start only one new product at a time with about 2 weeks in between introducing new products. That way you can check for negative reactions. The hyaluronic acid is a hydrator that you can work into your routine after the BHA serum to help keep your skin hydrated. The niacinamide can also be used in the same routine, but keep an eye out for irritation as many people do experience some with that particular product. Then the glycolic toner and lactic acid are both AHAs. You don't need both. It's redundant and would likely lead to overexfoliation. Have you used AHAs before? If not, I'd return the glycolic since the lactic acid is gentler. But you may not need the lactic acid in your routine at all. If you do eventually decide to use it, I'd alternate nights with the BHA. You don't want to use the lactic acid along with the SA cleanser and SA lotion as that would likely be too much in one routine, again putting you at risk for irritation. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors