Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

acne and periods

I'm a teenager and normally don't have acne until the week before and during my period. It doesnt get to bad but sometimes it's very annoying and painful. is there anything I can do before I get my period/during it to help the acne due to my period?

Acne has many causes, and one of them is hormones.  I'd v...

Acne has many causes, and one of them is hormones.  I'd venture a guess and say your acne could very well be triggered by your hormone levels during your period.  I would recommend talking to your doctor and seeing if they have any advice for treatment/prevention.

Hello,    The main cause of your acne is probably hormone...

Hello, 

The main cause of your acne is probably hormones which comes from the inside. What we can do is help your skin from the outside to make sure we are being proactive in keeping the hormonal acne under control. I would suggest using a gently acne kit that will help keep your skin exfoliated and in the best shape before your period comes. The GO Clear Skincare system is gentle enough to be used everyday and is amazing at what it does. It helps to heal existing acne and most importantly is preventative in making sure that no bacteria takes up residence in your pores. The kit retails at $40.Hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

Erik 

-Sephora PRO

Hi there, it's true,your hormones are causing you to brea...

Hi there, it's true,your hormones are causing you to break out before a period,which is normal. Treating it with cleansers could work from the outside,but you should also find ways to eat healthier to control it from the inside. I have found to eat more fruits and vegetables fight better with skin problems and along with it a good cleanser. I've also heard that using a cleanser for atleast 6 months will help as well,because your skin has to adjust to it. I use retin-a at night. Vitamin A helps to shed old skin,but remember it can irritate depending on your skin,and it is a prescription,so ask your doctor first. Hopefully this helps. Good luck. Oh, and stress can cause your acne to flare up. Have you read the book acne prescription from Dr. Perricone? He covers all acne problems,from teenager to adult acne.

You have hormonal acne. it's very common. Most birth cont...

You have hormonal acne. it's very common. Most birth controls will cure hormonal acne. Google it!

I'd say it's normal even if you're past being a teenager....

I'd say it's normal even if you're past being a teenager. Since you don't normally get acne until the week before your period, I would say to invest in a good skincare routine with products containing salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (if you're not allergic), and/or sulfur. There are so many brands out there, so please give them a try for a month before returning the products and trying out other brands. Look at what reviewers say: do those with pimples have serious acne or light acne? Do they have dry skin or oily skin? That will save you a lot of trips to Sephora/drugstore. I hope this helps and good luck!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors