Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Your Hormonal Acne Can be Caused by a Tumor

Hey everyone!  It's been a while since I was on here last.  Been super busy with managing artists and planning festivals!

I wanted to stop by and share something I discovered about hormonal acne that I thought would be interesting for all my fellow acne sufferers.

This post is about my hormonal acne that I've been suffering from for years and the tumor that's causing it.  It now kinda makes sense since acne treatments and products never worked well for me.

If you have hormonal acne like me, this could be the cause of it.  20% of the population have this tumor and 99% are non-cancerous.  A lot of times, it can be managed by taking birth control or similar (consult your doctor first!).  Other times, people might need or want surgery to remove it.  Doctors first discovered these tumors when they found that 1 in 5 people had it during autopsies.  Most people who have the tumor don't know they have it and go about their lives normally.

How I found out I had the tumor was totally unintentional and completely unrelated to the problem I originally went to the doctor for.  I recently had a hearing problem/tinnitus and had to get a CT Scan to check my middle and inner ears.  The scan just happened to capture an image of my Pituitary Gland that was enlarged.  The Pituitary Gland is a small gland in everyone's brain that produces hormones.  I got an MRI after that and they found that there's a pituitary tumor on it that's causing it to over-produce hormones.  I talked to an Endocrinologist and I'll be getting some blood and urine tests to determine what my next steps would be.  I'm hoping that I'll get it removed through the nose so I don't have to take birth control or get my skull cut open to remove it.

The tumor can also cause frequent urination, mood swings, fatigue, changes in menstrual cycles, dizziness, and headaches, which are things I've been suffering from.  Some other things were enlarged face, hands and feet, vision problems, nipple discharge when not breastfeeding, and infertility among other symptoms.

Just wanted to share this since not many people know about the pituitary tumor.  I hope this helps some of you guys who have been suffering from acne like me!  I know going to the doctor is expensive and getting CT Scans and MRI's are uncommon but hopefully my experiences can shed some light on acne and hormones.

I'm not a doctor and don't work in healthcare.  This post is from my own personal experiences and what the doctors told me by looking at my CT Scan and MRI.  Other people may have different experience or not even have the pituitary tumor at all.  Always consult your doctor for the best treatments and advice for your problems!

Conversation Stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 1 Contributors
testing