From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Who here has used acne medications like Retin-a, epiduo, etc.?

I used to use these acne medications and they got rid of all my acne but I am no longer under my mom’s insurance and therefore can’t afford to see my dermatologist anymore. What would you guys suggest to use instead? I’m sure not everyone uses these medications for more than 5 years, so my question is: what do you use after these medications? Does anything work as well?

RE: Who here has used acne medications like Retin-a, epiduo, etc.?

Who here has used acne medications like Retin-a, epiduo, etc.?

i have use them all since i had acne for 16 years. i would try differin since its over the counter. i recommend spiroloctone from the derm if you can go back.

Re: Who here has used acne medications like Retin-a, epiduo, etc.?

@hzemlock I use Retin-A, and have been for over 6 yrs b/c I wanted to get rid of little imperfections and also fight wrinkles.  I honestly don't think anything else works as well as Retin-A 😞  But, I think trying OTC Differin would be worth looking into, although I think the Rx strength works better.

I haven't seen retinol get a lot of press for fighting acne, so I'm curious to see what other BICers have to say.  People use retinol in place of retinoid for anti-wrinkles, so one would think that retinol could be used in place in retinoid for acne.  If you wanted to explore that and are well-accustomed to retinoids, you could look into a retinol product with a high concentration.  I think Paula's Choice may have a 2%.

Best of luck!  In the meantime, I also rec a gentle liquid cleanser like FAB or CeraVe, and BHA by Paula's Choice.  🙂

I used aczone for my acne for a really long time but it’s expensive and didn’t totally keep my skin clear. I switched to Kate Somervilles products for acne and I love it!

I use the Differin gel. It has done wonders for my breakouts!! I used to have moderate acne and now it’s mild and truly clearing off. There’s a small purging period but it clears up quick! Small pea sized amount for your entire face goes a long way!! Give it time, took about a month for it to work.
Anonymous Insider

The retinoid creams (Eg Differin, Adapalene, etc) used to all be prescription-only, and super $$. Within the last year, they’re now available over the counter - I buy Differin gel (haven’t seen a generic/store brand yet) for $15 for a small tube at Target. You only should use a pea-sized amount nightly (can do on top of cream!) so the tube lasts a while. It’s really helped for my skin!

Re: Who here has used acne medications like Retin-a, epiduo, etc.?

@hzemlock  Philosophy makes a product that is very popular and has 2000 positive ratings that contains retinol (retin-a.)  It's called Help Me.  I bought it for my child, but we haven't tried it yet (mostly because they aren't good about keeping up with a regiment.)  I bought it for the same reason as you- to have a substitute for a prescription.

https://www.sephora.com/product/help-me-P4647?icid2=products%20grid:p4647:product

I used Accutane for the longest time, it does try out your skin a bit. I have recently switched to Perfect Skin blemish and couldnt be happier! It has cleared my skin and also prevents acne!

Thank you so much! I will definite try it out!
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
testing