Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Thinking of going on Accutane

Has anyone used accutane for acne? And if so, what sort of products did you use to help combat the dryness? 

I'm considering going on accutane this month, any tips/suggestions would be great!

RE: Thinking of going on Accutane

I did not experience too much dryness, however I think that’s because I steered away from any drying products that had alcohol and harsh ingredients which is discouraged. It’s kind of hard because with acne you’re so used to using mattifying and oil absorbing products. Keep your routine as simple as possible, try cetaphil or something similar. I remember my skin being more sensitive than dry.

Re: Thinking of going on Accutane

Hi @MissMeriam I may be a very unique case because I loved my experience with Accutane. There was only a few weeks that I experienced discomfort from dryness...it eventually went away/was manageable (take what I say with a grain of salt since it's been so long).

I remember I used A LOT of cetaphil lotion. (I've since tried cerave and I hate that one). I also remember using Aveeno body washes and drank LOTS OF WATER! Overall, I think the key is to moisturize multiple times in a day and always be drinking water. Another thing I just realized...my eating habits tend to be very light on salt (since I don't like salt). I'm sure that helped me with anti dehydration concerns. For my lips, I lathered on so much Aquaphor and that helped a lot! Good luck! 

Hi, @MissMeriam. I think you'll find this thread helpful! 

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry-Skin/Holy-Grail-Products-for-Accutane-Users/m-p/3526496

I was on accutane around 10 years ago and my lips are what dried out the most. I don't remember my face being that bad, but my lips were severely chapped and very painful. I highly recommend Dr. Dan's Cortibalm. You can find it at the drugstore and online. This lip balm saved my lips and it was the only thing that worked for me. It was also what my dermatologist recommended at the time.

Image result for dr dans cortibalm

I was on accutane for four months. Honestly nothing can combat with the dryness. I used Aveno on my face and vasiline for my lips. To me accutane was the best thing i chose for my skin but the dryness was unreal. I wouldn't go on it in winter, just because it is so dry outside. However, summer is not so good as sunlight may irritate the skin aswell.

Good luck!

@MissMeriam My sister used it a while ago. She used to have really bad acne. I can ask her to get me some feedback next time I see her. 🙂

@thataylaa on YouTube started accurate a month or so ago and has been giving updates and checkins. It's been really informative from a skincare standpoint even for someone not taking the treatment (I just have dry skin).IMG_7746.PNG

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_7746.PNG
testing