Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

The ordinary

Has anyone tried The Ordinary, what are your thoughts? Any good products to help with acne? 

Re: The ordinary

@lillyporterr I use several products by The Ordinary. If you need a product with a very focused ingredients list (contains just the ingredients necessary to address a specific skin issue/goal) instead of a product that takes more of an "all in one" or "treats multiple issues" approach, The Ordinary's a great brand to try—especially for their low price range. 

For acne, their best products are probably The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL . The former is a 10-minute rinse-off mask of clay, charcoal, and 2% salicylic acid (BHA, a great acne-fighting ingredient) that can be used 1-2 times a week. The latter is an azelaic acid treatment that can be used daily, or even twice a day if your skin tolerates it. Azelaic acid also attacks acne-causing bacteria, plus it helps fade PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, the "dark marks" left behind by acne), and it's an antioxidant. I alternate this one with Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL throughout the week and have had good results. When I apply azelaic acid as soon as I notice acne forming, I find the acne clears up faster and I get much less PIH than usual. 

The Ordinary used to have a BHA leave-on exfoliant, but they discontinued it. I think they plan to bring it back after a reformulation, so that's something to keep an eye out for. 

Re: The ordinary

@lillyporterr I really enjoy the ordinary.  Their direct site has a great guide on developing a regimen, so I highly recommend you check it out

Some of my favorite items are

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL  (not for acne, but I like lightly tapping it into my hollows and the applying an eye cream)

The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL 

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL 

I wouldn't recommend starting with all of these.  Patch test everything!  What may work for me may be a disaster for you.  The azelaic acid is a nice one to start with.  It's a cream.  I find it helps even out texture a little, albeit not as quickly as I like, but still does the job. 

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing