Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Small deep whitehead

hey guys, 

Im writing here because I'm slowly loosing hope...the past couple years my acne has gotten prominently worse and I have no clue what type of acne it is. It's like these very tiny white heads that is very deep in pores and if it it exposed to bacterias then it gets red and angry. 

I have been a using the inkey list's salicylic acid cleanser, Hyloronic Acid, Niacinimide and BHA and they mainly helps clear my scars and black head on my nose. But never helped get rid of the tiny bumps on my face. Any recommendation? Thank you 

EB426C58-DA7B-4B4C-B563-487788093A29.jpeg

10E0C19E-86D0-4BAD-B712-34E0830B652F.jpeg

90DFE794-1972-4BE2-9CCB-6A07CBAF817E.jpeg

Re: Small deep whitehead

A visit to the dermatologist would be a good idea. You may also want to examine your diet, as food sensitivities can cause this type of breakout. I used to experience this before I cut out dairy. I had no idea I was allergic to it!

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. It sounds like you could have hormonal acne (I am not a derm), which can't be treated with topicals all that much. If you haven't made an appointment with a derm, I would consider meeting with one to get an official diagnosis. If you can't see a derm in person or the out-of-pocket cost is a lot, maybe try Apostrophe for an online appointment and prescription-strength products. You might be prescribed a derm to take an oral medication for acne (like Spironalotone) and topical treatment. If you have tried everything, this is the best option. I have seen a derm on and off since I was 13 ish, and my acne has changed to hormonal. Seeing the derm has helped my skin has become clear again (except for 1-2 zits a month). My derm prescribed me 15% azelaic acid (for hyperpigmentation & any non-hormonal acne) and tretinoin (retinol) in addition to Spironolactone. However, treatment would vary based on your diagnosis from a derm and what they believe is the cause of the whiteheads. I tried to provide reasonably priced over-the-counter versions of these products on this page. If you do try any new products, make sure to patch test, and the rule of thumb (by every derm I have seen) is to give a product 3 months to work before you decide on if the product works for you or not. 

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but I would switch to a very basic gentle cleanser in the morning and then use your salicylic acid cleanser at night or every other day. 2% salicylic acid is the max strength for a BHA, and most people should only exfoliate 2-3 times a week, especially since you are using a BHA serum in addition to your cleanser. If you go on retinol at any point, alternate the products. I can tolerate chemical exfoliants (I use glycolic acid) with retinol, but I have been on retinol since I was 13-14. However, over-exfoliating can cause dryness and irritation, which causes the skin to overproduce oil in response = breakouts. A BHA cleanser can help, but it's also a wash-off treatment. If you are open to it, switch to a gentle cleanser (Vanicream, La Roche Posay, etc.) morning and night and continue to use the BHA serum or the Paula's Choice BHA liquid exfoliant nightly. 

Also, if you have hormonal acne, the best way to treat the zit is through spot treatment. After your normal routine, apply a spot treatment that "dries" the zit out (like benzoyl peroxide), and then apply a tiny bit of hydrocortisone to reduce any inflammation or swelling at the site. I use the Aveeno 1% hydrocortisone from the drugstore. Don't forget SPF daily! Hydrocortisone has some AHA's (in addition to many other acne medications making skin more sensitive to the sun). 

@Angeline090401 For small bumps, you might want to try The INKEY List Lactic Acid Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or The INKEY List Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL . Both are chemical exfoliators that can help with resurfacing.

they can definitely be drying so be sure to test patch and you might want to alternate days when using the BHA 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos3
  • 10E0C19E-86D0-4BAD-B712-34E0830B652F.jpeg
  • 90DFE794-1972-4BE2-9CCB-6A07CBAF817E.jpeg
  • EB426C58-DA7B-4B4C-B563-487788093A29.jpeg
testing