Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Skincare routine while on isotretinoin?

I'm 25 and I've absolutely had it with my acne, so I'm starting isotretinoin (generic name for accutane) next month. I'm wondering whether anyone has suggestions for a skincare routine while on it. Specifically, is there a cleanser/serum/moisturizer combo anyone recommends? I know the medicine really dries out your skin...

Right now I use Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Pore Perfecting Cleansing Gel, The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%,Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Eye, and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Moisturizer, in that order. Every other day I use the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel (or Universal Daily Peel, depending on how my skin looks) after cleansing. 

I've tried a million different products since my acne started in 2007--both prescription and over-the-counter--but none have really worked. Help would be much appreciated!! Thank you 🙂 

RE: Skincare routine while on isotretinoin?

Hi! Currently on month 4 of Accutane here! I absolutely do not recommend any type of acids while you are on isotretnion. I’ve done it once and it was a horrrrrrible idea! The dry skin honestly didn’t get horrible for me till about month 2! But currently here’s what I’ve been doing, cetaphil cleanser, keep it insanely simple on cleanser. Drunk elephant B-Hydra serum then either YTTP Superfood dream sleeping mask or FAB Beauty intensive moisturizer. Adding a good face oil was a GAME CHANGER during this process. I used JM Argan oil but started getting really red so I switched to Herbivore Emerald with CBD and it’s incredible. I also really love the Ordinary hemi Squalene during the day because it absorbs very quickly. I had a much much more elaborate routine and it did more harm than good honestly. I tried Dr. Jart Ceramidin cream and it’s way way too scented for how sensitive the skin gets with the medication. When my skin got horribly dry/flakey (in month two) I did think that using a dermaplaning razor and getting off that layer of dead skin helped so much! Skin Fix is a great brand for this medicine too, the eye cream is something I use daily as it’s a 360 eye cream and super hydrating! I highly recommend that brand! Drunk elephant Lippe Balm is a life saver too!! If you have any questions during your time on accutane please message me! Ive tried so many things and am happy to help!!

Re: RE: Skincare routine while on isotretinoin?

I'm on month 5 and now experiencing really dry eyes. I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. Did you have this experience? If yes, what did you use?

Re: Skincare routine while on isotretinoin?

I would skip any type of exfoliation when on Accutane. Personally, my skin was peeling when I was on Accutane and it was painful. I would just focus on hydration and moisturizing. I used Dr. Jart's Cicapair. You may also benefit from Krave Beauty's Great Barrier Relief serum. I would even skip the vitamin C if possible. Vitamin C can be irritating if used on sensitized skin. Also, I don't see a sunscreen in your routine. Make sure that you include one.

Oooh, yes, @savrac, @risa0225 is on the nose with the sunscreen. Make sure you're incorporating SPF everyday!!

Is this your morning and nighttime routine, @savrac? If youre not using stuff at night, you should think about adding some moisturizing products then.

Cleanser wise, maybe look into PHILOSOPHY - Purity Made Simple Cleanser for a morning cleanser. At night, especially if youre wearing makeup, a non milky cleanser is ideal, the Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml is non drying and lovely. Or the DDG is a good option.

You'll want to add a bunch of moisturizing and repairing ingredients to your routine. I'd recommend picking up a hydrating toner (DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Liquid), a hydrating serum (Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Hyaluronate Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Hyaluronic Marine Hydration Booster or The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics 1 oz/ 30 mL), a moisturizer with ceramides (Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  or DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream) and a face oil for the morning (try something with squalane). For the evening maybe a hydrating face or sheet mask (I'm still on the hunt for my favorite, but these were recommended me, ORIGINS - Drink Up™ 10 Minute Hydrating Mask with Apricot & Swiss Glacier Water, Clarins SOS Hydra Refreshing Hydration Mask 2.3 oz/ 75 mL or Caudalie Moisturizing Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL), a night moisturizer (the FRESH - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer is nice of you can get over the scent), and a sleeping mask (Origins Drink Up™ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/ 75 mL or SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask).

As always, please discuss with your derm, if you can even digitally. Wait at least 2 weeks between incorporating each new product. Good luck, @savrac 

Wow thank you so much!! I will def try out some of these products!

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing