Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Skincare help: acne/redness combination/dry skin

I've been using the same face cleanser and basic products for years (and I'm 17) and they're not clearing my acne and my skin is red on my cheeks. I think my skin is combination, leaning toward dry. I wash my face with a Foreo Luna mini. I'm currently using:

- Clinique acne solutions foaming cleanser (I will be switching to Caudalie gentle cleansing milk per suggestion from an employee because after washing my face feels extremely dry and tight)

- Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion, and finally

- Either a burts bees tea tree spot treatment or Clinique clearing gel

I have no idea what to change/add. My overall health is good but I've had acne for years and my skin has gotten more red. I don't want to spend more that around $35 per product. Please help. Thanks!

Tags:

Re: Skincare help: acne/redness combination/dry skin

@ziggzagg If your cleanser is making your skin feel dry and tight, definitely try the Caudalie one! Maybe try using the Foreo less often to avoid irritation. And when trying new products, don't forget to incorporate them one at a time every several weeks to not overwhelm your skin and to make sure that it's compatible! 

If you need something even more gentle and affordable, CeraVe's Hydrating Cleanser is great if you don't wear sunblock or makeup, or as a second cleanser after using a cleansing oil. Some other cleansers that meet your budget:

First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL

Hada Labo Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Foam

La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Facial Cleanser

DHC - Face Wash Powder

^These brands above create gentle products that are good for those with sensitive skin!

If you feel like you need more moisture, add a hydrating toner like

Hada Labo - Hyaluronic Acid Lotion "Toner" (apply onto damp skin).

How's your current moisturizer working out for you? You can check out moisturizers from brands I mentioned above like Glow Recipe someone else mentioned, or

FIRST AID BEAUTY - Ultra Repair BarriAIR Cream

LANEIGE - Water Bank Hydrating Gel

The Ordinary - Squalane Oil

Cerave, La Roche-Posay, etc.

Once you find the right cleanser and moisturizer for your skin, if you'd like to address other issues like acne, you can look towards adding other products like

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

-for pores and oil control

THE ORDINARY - Salicylic Acid 2% Solution

-BHA good for unclogging pores and bringing acne to a head, also good when paired with an AHA

The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

-AHA that helps BHA penetrate the skin to clean out pores

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL

-Helps smooth skin texture and reduces redness

and many more. And if you live in a sunny area and are using an AHA, don't forget to wear your sunscreen since it increases photosensitivity to the sun. Also, if your acne is hormonal and no skincare routine works, then you should speak with your doctor about next steps.

RE: Skincare help: acne/redness combination/dry skin

Ignore these other reply’s. try the tea tree oil face wash. I get mine from my local shoppers drug mart it’s by Life brand. Completely changed the way my skin is I never break out and it was bad. All because of a simple face wash. And it doesn’t try out your skin too much although you might need a moisturizer some days but rarely. Hope this helps it’s really inexpensive too

Re: RE: Skincare help: acne/redness combination/dry skin

That may work for you but it may not work for many others, especially the tea tree oil that could worsen skin for those with sensitive skin or are sensitive to essential oils. Moisturizer is important even when you have oily acneic skin since it'll also help control oil production.

But you are right in saying that finding the right cleanser that's compatible with your skin is important!

Moisturizer is needed daily for all skin, helps protect the skin barrier from the environment, it's not just a hydration thing.

i’d recommend checking out glow recipe! they have affordable products, and amazing quality. since you are a teen you wouldn’t be wanting to be putting so many crazy anti aging or anti acne products. for your routine i’d recommend their blueberry cleanser, watermelon moisturizer, and their watermelon sleeping mask. you don’t need a huge routine but these products also multi task, the cleanser cleanser, exfoliates, and mousturizes 🙂

i also wouldn’t recommend shading your face in the morning, because over washing your face can cause more acne and dryness, maybe check out the avocado sleeping mask as well 🙂

Try Neutragina pomegranate moisturizer and ceraVe sA face wash along with Mario Badescu drying lotion on spots! Also u heard ordinary glycolic toner used every other day is great for acne .

Thanks so much! I'll look into those

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing