Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Skincare burns?

For the last month or so I’ve been using Neutrogena Rapid Clear cleanser and leave on mask (Benzoil peroxide) This dries my face out a lot so I use The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum and then a moisturizer. I’ve tried both The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA # and the Glow Recipe Banana Soufflé Moisture Cream 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and both are working against the rapid clear to make my face feel like it’s burning. Any idea what is interacting here? Or what I can use that won’t burn?

Tags:

Re: Skincare burns?

@Jerrysmom What specific leave-on mask are you using? The Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask is meant to be rinsed, but I haven't seen a leave on one so I may be missing it. 

The cleanser you do wash off, the other product is a leave-on mask that I only use at night. 

Right, but what leave-on mask is it, @Jerrysmom? It's very likely that you've irritated your skin due to overuse of benzoyl peroxide. Most people can't handle using it daily in just one product and your description of your routine above makes it sound like you're using it in two- both the cleanser and mask. 

From what I can guess, it seems either the neutrogena products are impairing your skin barrier, or you have an allergy or reaction specifically an ingredient in both of the moisturizers. My top advice would be to see a dermatologist but of course not everyone can and that’s okay. There may be an issue that too much hyaluronic acid is irritating your skin or drawing water out instead of in, so be sure you’re applying that to your face when your face is still damp from cleansing, or just omit it entirely. Be sure you’re not using too much. I would also suggest one of these three things: using benzoyl peroxide products less frequently (once a day, every other day, every three days, etc); using only one benzoyl peroxide product (pick the cleanser or the mask but not both); or trying other anti-acne products and discontinuing the use of benzoyl peroxide entirely. There’s a lot of people who just can’t handle benzoyl peroxide. It may be most helpful for your acne but adapalene products like Proactiv Adapalene Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment 1.6 oz/ 45 g are also extremely effective and may be better tolerated by your skin. Or if you can see a dermatologist, tretinoin is perhaps the best option. Good luck!

I actually hadn’t thought about there being too much hyaluronic acid so that’s interesting, thanks! I’ll check out your recommendation. 

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing