From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Silicone and Talc- bad for oily and acne prone skin?

I have very oily skin and am

prone to cystic acne.   I have read that both talc and silicone are ingredients to avoid with acne prone skin, yet even the "clean" beauty brands often contain one of them in their "oil control" products.   I am

desperate to find a primer or powder that will keep my face from being shiny within a few hours of leaving the house (even when it's not hot out) but can't find anything that doesn't have one of the two!

(Every time I go in to Sephora and ask they suggest a product that has one of these two ingredients as well!)

any suggestions??

Re: Silicone and Talc- bad for oily and acne prone skin?

bareMinerals has a great talc free setting powder! It's one of my go-tos. 

bareMinerals Mineral Veil Talc Free Setting Powder Mineral Veil 

Have you yourself had any issues with those specific products, @quartzlynn? Neither has ever been a problem for my skin, despite being acne prone. 

I tend to have cystic acne and stopped using bareMinerals years ago after researching ingredients like talc. Also clean products are more natural, less worry about harmful chemicals, doesn't mean they are non-commodogenic. Here's a fairly recent article that mentions it:

---

I believe silicone is only really an issue if you have an allergy. It does not block up your pores like some people say. As for talc, it can be drying as a powder but as a minor ingredient, there shouldn’t be an issue. I think it’s more important to look at the formulation as a whole than to completely avoid certain ingredients unless you have a specific sensitivity or allergy. I am prone to acne and enjoy the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Mini Pro Filt'r Mattifying Primer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing