Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Sensitive skin, skin burns from salicylic acid

I'm not sure what to use.

Re: Sensitive skin, skin burns from salicylic acid

Hi @RayLee33 ! I would recommend The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . Have a great day 🙂

@RayLee33  Which salicylic acid (BHA) product(s) have you tried that made your skin burn? You could be sensitive to BHA, or to another ingredient in the product(s) you tried, or you might need a lower strength BHA product. Also, if you use BHA too often on large areas of your face, it can definitely cause burning and flaking. Don't use it more than 3 times a week. 

Have you ever tried a rinse-off BHA product? Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Acne Cleanser 6 oz/ 177 mL contains just 0.5% BHA. Gently rub it on your face, let it sit for a couple minutes (to give BHA time to do its job), and then rinse it off. Another option is The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml which is stronger at 2% BHA. 

You could also try a rinse-off benzoyl peroxide product, like one of the 2 PanOxyl cleansers: one is 4% benzoyl peroxide and the other is 10%. Usually the stronger one's available in drugstores, but I recommend looking for the gentler 4% version if your skin can tolerate this ingredient at all. (I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide, so I can't use it at any strength.) 

Azelaic acid might work well for you, if you can't do BHA or benzoyl peroxide. It's an anti-inflammatory antioxidant that attacks acne-causing bacteria and can help reduce acne scars (dark marks left behind by acne, aka post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). I alternate between Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL (also contains 0.5% BHA) and The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL . You can also get a 20% azelaic acid prescription from a dermatologist or other doctor. 

I've used Clearasil pads and Burts Bee's targeted spot treatment. I'm also using Burts Bee's Micellar water towelettes and Truly Glowing Replenishing Gel cream, they feel great on my skin. I haven't tried anything with benzoyl peroxide or azelaic acid. Right now I'm just looking for something for the acne, not a cleanser as the towelettes work great.

Someone in the PCOS Facebook group I'm in suggested The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% so I think I'm going to try it because it's cheap so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work.

Hii @RayLee33! I had the same problem a couple of years ago... it sucks!! I can recommend you two products that really worked out for me 😄 if you want to try them:

- Cystic Acne Treatment and Acne Scar Remover - Made in USA - Effective & Body Severe Acne Cleanser with Tea Tree Oil - Prevent Future Breakouts - Natural Acne Balm, Pimple Cream 

- L'ebe Calendula Cream Face Moisturizer for Dry Skin | Soothing Redness & Rosacea | Dry Skin Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin | Hydrating & Calming Flaky Skin | Organic Vegan Natural Ingredients

IDK if you tried this new awesome tool called Midori, but it really helped me through, finding great products for my skin and giving me a list of all the toxic ingredients, etc... it's really helpful, maybe you can try it and find a great product for yourself!

What is Midori? Where do I find it?

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing