Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Routine Suggestions?

I realize this is the wrong way to ask for help, usually advice first purchase later but I did things backwards...

My concerns are large pores, sebaceous plugs, and some fine wrinkles around the eyes and forehead. 

Recently I picked up Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment Farmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya 4.0 oz/ 120 mL Youth To The People Super Glow Kit ; I was previously using Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid and Dr. Jart V7 Antioxidant Serum. I noticed my face dry out significantly the other day after exclusively using the new products for a couple days so I went back to my Dr. Jart routine. I’ve been trying the Sunday Riley CEO Oil and Luna Oil in the morning and evening.

I like all of these but I’m definitely out of my league and would really appreciate any recommendations on how to use these more effectively!!!

Re: Routine Suggestions?

Hi @r1skyb1z ! You’ve got 2 leave-on AHA exfoliants: Sunday Riley Good Genes (5% lactic acid) and YTTP Kombucha 11% AHA toner. You also have the Farmacy 2% BHA toner. That’s a lot of chemical (acid) exfoliation to throw at your skin at once, especially if you’re new to AHAs. And you shouldn’t use any exfoliant more than 3 times a week, if even that frequently. Even 2% BHA or 5% lactic acid can break your skin barrier if used too often, causing lots of irritation (excessive dryness, flakey skin, stinging/burning redness) and leaving your skin wide open for acne-causing bacteria to invade. 

My recommendation, with all that in mind and using the list of products you provided: 

1. Cleanser - what do you currently use to wash your face? Do you wash twice a day, or just once a day (preferably at night, if you're a once-a-dayer)? 

2. Hydrating toner/essence - you could still use your Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid toner here. If this product’s been working well for you, there’s no need to ditch it. 

3. Exfoliant, no more than 3x/wk - skip this step for now and reintroduce it when your skin’s no longer excessively dry. At that time, choose ONLY ONE of these products: either the Sunday Riley Good Genes, YTTP Kombucha toner, or Farmacy BHA toner. After a few weeks, you might find you can layer the BHA toner with one of the AHA products without irritation. But please don’t try using 2 or 3 of the AHA products at the same time. Always alternate them, if you decide to keep them all. 

4. Moisturizer - choose either the YTTP Superberry Mask or Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream. Both are moisturizers and you really only need one. You could alternate them, which may help you decide which one’s more effective for your skin. The Dr. Jart cream’s main occlusive moisturizing ingredient is shea butter, while the YTTP mask’s moisturizing ingredients are sunflower oil and squalene. You might find shea butter works better as a moisturizer for your skin. 

You can also try using the YTTP facial oil under or over either of those 2 cream moisturizers. When I use a facial oil, I treat it like a serum and apply it under my moisturizer. It might boost moisturization but, as an emollient, it'll definitely make your skin feel softer (unless your skin's sensitive to one of its ingredients). This particular oil does give skin a nice radiant glow, but the Superberry Mask might also do that for you. 

5. Sunscreen (AM only) - do you currently use one? Make sure it’s broad spectrum with a minimum SPF of 30. We should all use sunscreen each day our skin’s exposed to sunlight, regardless of weather or season. But it’s especially important when you also use AHAs, which increase your skin’s sun sensitivity. 

Re: Routine Suggestions?

You are amazing, thank you so much for the reply!!! 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing