Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Recommendations on dark spot correctors/acne scar fading

I have a few acne scars and a few regular scars along with some darker freckles on different areas of my face and I was wondering what are some acne scar fading treatments out there and can I use them to help lighten the freckles as well or should I use a dark spot corrector on those.  Im not currently using anything special on any areas just sunscreen and Ole Henrieksen Truth Serum.  Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I personally use the Caudali antti-dark spot set. I think...

I personally use the Caudali antti-dark spot set. I think with any of thse anti-spot products it takes consistent usage and time.

I'd suggest picking up the two other items in the Ole Hen...

I'd suggest picking up the two other items in the Ole Henricksen 3 Little Wonders kit as you are already using Truth Serum.  This kit helped fade my acne scars and made my skin look great.   

I used Origins Brighter by Nature peels (just substitute...

I used Origins Brighter by Nature peels (just substitute the toner step with this, then put on a slightly heavier moisturizer), and the Caudalie dark spot serum on different occasions. I saw improvement with both, but only after a week of consistent use (3 peels used every 3 days, or serum every night for a week). I recommend them, but make sure to be diligent with SPF since treatments can increase sun sensitivity.

If you like peels but have sensitive skin, Dr. Gross alpha beta is very gentle. If you like it tough, ExfoliKate really stings on my face.

Re: I used Origins Brighter by Nature peels (just substitute...

I've been meaning to try those Origins peels. Are they good for acne-prone skin? I have acne scars, but I still get acne.

Re: I used Origins Brighter by Nature peels (just substitute...

I think you should be fine. I wipe with the pads, but gently dab over soft acne if any. I would not recommend using it over raw/open acne. I notice it reduced the size and lightened the color of some bumps on my skin, and made my skin super smooth. It can be used if you get acnes, but it doesn't help or worsen them...unless you count drying as helpful.

It may stings a tiny bit but nothing as bad as ExfoliKate. I use a slightly heavier moisturizer than usual right after the peel and put on SPF 30 instead of SPF15.

p.s. There was also the...either "forall" or "yourgift" with a Murad duo option. It's 1oz clay mask that's great for drying up pimples and .5oz gel that's suppose to lighten and smooth acne scars.

Murad uses hydroquinon anything stronger and you would ne...

Murad uses hydroquinon anything stronger and you would need a prescription.

Murad - Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=654095&productId=P4009&keyword=MURAD%20Rapid%...

Re: Murad uses hydroquinon anything stronger and you would ne...

Can you still use your regular acne treatment serum at the same time?

The Murad serum is quite potent and the active ingredient...

The Murad serum is quite potent and the active ingredient is in its strongest form without having to get a prescription. It can also make the skin a bit light sensitive, so try to only use it at night and always follow up in the morning with a moisturizer with SPF.

If you want to go the route of more gentle ingredients, look for something with kojic acid, licorice, or vitamin C.

Exuviance has a few products that help brighten without hydroquinone, and Murad and Philiosphy have some great vitamin C serums and even a powder that can mix in with a moisturizer and serum to help prevent oxidation damage that can cause pigmentation to darken or get worse.

For dark spots and even acne scarring, try a light peel or treatment with alpha/beta/poly hydroxy acids. These help to chemically exfoliate the skin without harsh scrubbing agents, and instead rely on fruit sugars, milk sugars, and ingredients like salicylic acid to help increase cell turn over to help fade and lighten darker areas of pigmentation.

Origins Brighter By Nature Peel Pads are great to use, start off with using it once or twice a week and you can bump it up a bit once you learn your skin's tolerance level on active ingredients, and Dr. Dennis Gross has a great and gentle peel, along with Exuviance as well!

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors