Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation?

So now that I've been treating my acne for some time, I've noticed a lot of lingering hyperpigmentation that will not budge.  I'm sure I'm not the only one so I was curious what everyone else uses to minimize/treat their spots.  Mine are mainly on my cheeks where I tend to get a majority of my breakouts, usually right where I would contour and underneath heading towards my jaw.  It drives me absolutely insane that the texture is gone, and there's no longer anything "pop-able" (gross, I know, I'm trying to kick the habit) but it looks like I've still got a giant breakout.

Re: Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation?

PIH is, unfortunately, a long-term battle. They can last anywhere from a few months to years, though I am very happy to say that they DO eventually go away. To treat it and help the process to go faster you can use:

1. Sunscreen. Sun damage makes PIH worse and last longer. Never forget to wear sun protection when fighting PIH.

2. Chemical Exfoliators. Use skincare products with things like glycolic acid or salicylic acid to encourage skin turnover. Use sparingly though (2-3x a week), over-enthusiasm with these products will cause more harm than good. Most spot treatment products for acne will have one of these products. Same with medicated pads like the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads.

3. Look for products with Vitamin C and/or Niacinamide. These help to reduce inflammation and the actual pigmentation of the PIH. An example would be the C-Firma Day Serum by Drunk Elephant.

Good luck!!!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing