Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Niacinamide and salicylic acid?

I'm still a teenager and I have a acne prone skin with redness. I'm wondering if The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% and the Origins super spot remover will help me with my acne. Since both of them are strong acids, I'm not sure if it will help or get worse.

Tags:

Re: Niacinamide and salicylic acid?

Hi @Maiyaaa!

It's ok to use both niacinamide and salicylic acid together.  I use The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL and Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Treatment Face Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL together for acne and oily skin.

One thing about The Ordinary product is the it can be super drying.  I have oily skin so this helps but it still feels a bit dry after using it so I've had to start using thicker more moisturizing creams.  When I first used it, I applied it using my hands like it said in the instructions.  This was a huge mistake for me.  It completely dried out my hands!  I had to use a super thick ointment for 3 days.  I now put a few drops on a cotton pad and apply that to my face.

RE: Niacinamide and salicylic acid?

I have my niece using the Ordinary Niacinamide 10% along with the Sephora Collection Clean Clarifying Lotion which has a naturally derived salicylic acid in it! She loves the results she’s getting!

Re: Niacinamide and salicylic acid?

@Maiyaaa 

Niacinamide isn't an acid!

Salicylic acid plus niacinamide is a powerhouse combo for oily skin; I definitely recommend using both. However, I don't recommend the Origins product for another reason: it has alcohol as the second ingredient, and that can make your oiliness worse over time, not better.

For an alcohol free SA, I recommend Paula's Choice. They've got loads of percentages and formulations so you can find your best fit, and all of them avoid alcohol. They sell several of them in travel sizes so that you can test without shelling out for a full size bottle. Poke around the net for 15-20% codes and/or free shipping...they've usually got some kind of deal out there. 

If you want a drugstore SA, my only other recommendation is Stridex. They're the only budget SA pad that I know of that doesn't use alcohol. The overall formula for these is mediocre compared to Paula's Choice, but they're the best of the drugstore scene, AFAIK.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing