cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Need skin care advice!!! - ACNE

Hi, all!

So, I take great care of my skin (I wash it twice a day, use toner twice a day, never sleep with makeup on, use really high-quality serums, moisturize with oils and occasionally night creams, use face masks every now and then, wear SPF and eye cream every day, the whole nine yards). I have been struggling with really bad cystic acne pretty much only on my chin for the past year. I recently got on birth control a month ago because I figured it was hormonal and I needed to do some internal work to clear it up. But alas, nothing I'm using or doing is working. I have horrible scars that won't go away and literally ALWAYS have at least five cystic pimples on my chin at any given time. I am getting desperate. 

If you have a similar situation, please help. Here are the products I use:

-Pond's cold cream cleanser to remove makeup

-La Roche Posay Effaclar face wash

-Cetaphil daily face wash (sometimes Origins Checks and Balances)

-Thayer's Witch Hazel rose petal toner

-Origins Dr. Weil Mega-Mushroom soothing skin lotion (for inflamed/red acne area)

-Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos serum

-Josie Maran argan oil or rosehip oil

-Elta MD UV Clear daily moisturizer (SPF 46)

-Origins Ginzing eye cream

-When it's really bad, Origins Out of Trouble face mask (works great)

Note: I do wear concealer almost every day, but not usually foundation.

If you have any suggestions or can help at all, PLEASE let me know. Thank you so much!

-Ally

not everyone is the same but I had this same problem a ye...

not everyone is the same but I had this same problem a year ago and I read somewhere that rosehipoil was making them breakout and I had started using that 6 months prior. so I cut out #rosehipoil completely and my acne has improved dramatically.

RE: Need skin care advice!!! - ACNE

I’d skip the ponds and use a Clarisonic to remove make up. Ponds gave me the worst acne I’ve ever had.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Need skin care advice!!! - ACNE

On breaks or weekends, if you can, skip makeup.

Anonymous Insider

Face cleansers (OIL-FREE).

Prescribed acne medication.

RE: Need skin care advice!!! - ACNE

In my experience with acne, I avoid any product that contains oil. An oil free cleanser with salicylic acid, glycolic acid or tea tree is your best bet at unclogging pores and healing the acne. Chin acne can also be caused by your dairy intake.

Herbivore Lapis Facial Oil and Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels are good for hormonal chin acne/cysts 🙂

Hey girl! If it's hormonal, no amount of cream is going to help unfortunately. You should consider talking to a dermatologist about oral medications, which will be much more effective. You should also consider a retin-a (prescription), which will help unclog pores and help with the scarring (it's like a mini facial). Just so you know, retinoids over the counter are not as powerful as prescription strength. Although, Differin just came out as over the counter, and is highly recommended by dermatologist (and its only $12!). Otherwise, I find that glamglow masks really help with acne!

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing