Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

My daughter is 15 years old and has a face full of acne, HELP!

My daughter is 15 years old and experiencing hormonal changes.  She feels very vulnerable about her appearance and it's difficult to find a product that is suitable for her sensitive skin.  She also has an allergy to sunscreen and has eczema.

Currently, she's using Clear Complexion line from Boscia.  Is that suitable for her?  I'm trying to stay away from any salicyclic acid or benzol peroxide.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.

Best regards,

Shell

Re: My daughter is 15 years old and has a face full of acne, HELP!

I am 27, and always had some acne in highscool but it did not get really bad (cystic acne), until my twenties. Now unfortunately I am left with horrible scarring. The best products that work for me are Neutrogena pink graprefuit acne wash (salicylic acid, though), and I also have a topical presciption from my derm called Benzaclyn which combines benzoyle peroxide and an antibiotic called clyndamycin (just a spot treatment). These can be more harsh on the skin, but it is the only thing that helps keep my skin clear, and I have tried almost every over the counter product, along with a lot of topical prescriptions. If she has a sensitive stomach, I would not recommend birth control pills or oral antibiotics as these made me miserable. Especially if the acne is hormone related, oral antibiotics will not help much and will also kill off the good bacteria your body needs for a healthy immune system in the process. The Arbonne skin line has also worked pretty well for some people I know, and they take a more natual approach and are good for people with sensitive skin. Other natural oils work pretty well too such as tea tree or jojoba, and are not as harsh when used in the right amounts. I would also look into possible food allergies (or sensitivites) if you haven't already, because my face is SO much better when I avoid gluten (just found out I have Celiacs disease, so they think this was actually a big contricution to the problem) and also dairy and eggs. I hope this information helps; good luck with everything!  

I think natural SA is fine, will check out the Neutrgena product.  Thanks for the advice!  She can always eat better!

I recommend Korre's pomegranate toner- it isn't harsh on the skin, while it also proves to be extremely effective on acne, as well as alleviating redness and irritation.  

thank you for your suggestion emily!

It seems like you have a lot of replies to your question, but I thought I would add my opinion. I deal with acne pretty bad, but since starting Lush Angels on Bare Skin cleanser, Lush Tee Tree Toner, and Lush Imperialis Moisturizer my face has completely cleared up. I also will use Murad Acne Spot Treatment all over a few times per week.

I used a dermatologist for years and it never really helped. My skin was just too sensitive for everything they kept throwing at me, it ended up making it worse. If her skin is very sensitive it might be worth giving it some time with good products before hitting her skin with the tough stuff.

Also, make sure she stays away from supplements with Biotin and fish oil as this will aggravate acne a lot. Birth control pills are awesome, but Evening Primrose Oil will do the same thing and you can find that anywhere. If her acne is on her cheeks and chin a lot this will help clear it up.

Hope this helps:) Feel free to message me privately if you want to ask any questions I would love to help in any way I can.

A good dermatologist will make a big difference. I did get some samples of proactive for some breakouts on my chin and it worked like charm:) but in the long run having a professional would probably be best. I think there are some amazing advances and prescription creams etc..  Hope you find what you need.

Thank you for your input bellarob.  I appreciate the time for your reply.

I am so sorry 😞 I hate to repeat everyone but please take her to a good dermatologist. The reason is because you will end up spending so much money in skincare that you both will be disappointed and broke at the end. And probably it will leave both emotional and physical scars. 

I have had acne since I was 11 and I tried everything, spend tens of thousands of dollars for skin care and acne solutions for the last 20 or so years (skin care was way more expensive in my home country). Doctors I went were not very good and made me try different things al my life which did not work and made me quit going to derms.

And then a horrible outbreak happened and scarred my face 😞 Not like red or brown scars, deep scars! And I regretted not trying to find a good derm ever since. Now my current derm put me on retin-a for the last 8 months and it changed my face completely. I still get occasional acne but it is way better. I wish I did this a few years ago before that horrible break out. Now I have to go under laser to make my face more smooth which will cost me at least $5000.

I never thought this would happen but it did. So please take her to a derm or to a few derms until you find the right one! 

I'm sorry to hear about that aydasu.  I will look into a dermatologist here and book an appt.  Thank you for talking about your experience.

I believe well formulated products with salicylic acid would benefit...is there a reason why you're excluding them?

Just concerned about her allergic reaction with eczema to certain skin lotions/treatment. Thanks for your input!

Shesido Facial Cleanser has been working great for me. Whatever you do don't let her take Proactiv because her skin will become dependent on it! Even though it works if you don't use it for about a week or two you'll get acne all over! Trust me. As for the eczema I'd suggest Kate Somerville's Eczema cream, it really helps. I'm 15 too so I understand how frustrating it can be. Maybe Josie Marans argan oil would help her too? I tried it a while a go and I barely get any pimples unless they're hormonal now and you can't really do much about those suckers until the week is over.

Thanks for the Kate Somerville recommendation.  Argan oil? It is a moisturizer or cleanser?

Proactiv worked for me when I was younger, but there are so many good products available now. I think I would go for paulas choice acne line if I suffered acne at this point.

What really helped my acne was getting on birth control pills. I know that's not what you want to think about with your 15 year old but it really does help because of the hormones. I got off it for one year and my acne was terrible, when I got back on my face cleared up and I have not had a break out. Of course I still do preventative care like washes and scrubs but I take my birth control religiously.

You're right though about the birth control pills.  I've been on them for a few decades and never had any breakouts where I had a face full before.  Thanks for your input.

She needs to see a Dermatologist. I had/have severe acne since her age...so 10-11 years now. I should have seen a Derm at the very beginning. The only thing that ever helped was going on oral antibiotics.

If she has cystic acne, OTC products and topical creams and cleansers won't help, since they don't penetrate deeply enough into the skin.

Thanks for your reply SweetSweetIrony.  I plan to take her to a good derm. soon.

I'm an adult (struggled with acne for many years growing up) with occasional pimples. I did use Proactiv when I was a teen, but I found that while it worked, it really dried my face and it can be really harsh. My acne did phase out as I got older, though, and I found that the less I tried to treat the acne, the better it was.

That being said, I do use Clinique's Acne gel for the random pimple, but what I've found recently that was even more effective was Fresh's Umbrian clay mask (the bar version). I used it just last night for a pimple (I put it on overnight), and it shrunk dramatically. My skin wasn't flaky or dry after using it.

I do really like Boscia's skin care - I'm using the Purifying Gel and I find it very gentle while cleaning my face.

I hope your daughter's skin gets better - I understand the struggles of having acne during high school!

We are also drying out some new breakouts with the clay bar and it does work, we just don't use it daily just 3 - 4x/week.  Thank you for your reply chocopudding.

36 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing