Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Murad post acne spot lightening gel

I got a delux sample from sephora 2 months ago and I used it is few times but didn't really get into it. Now I'm concerned about my acne scars and wanted to lighten them but the product has turned a slight yellow color. I can't remember if it was that slight yellow color to begin with or not and every picture shows it has clear gel. Has my bottle spoiled in 2 months? Sould I throw it out and or still use it? Thanks very much for any help.

Re: Murad post acne spot lightening gel

Hi Jolindsay, 

Sometimes this is just the natural effect of the serums as time goes by. As long as you made sure to keep the cap tightly closed you should be fine, but in case the product has lost some of its potency, keep an eye out for any irritation you may have and follow up with an SPF to keep your skin bright! If for any reason you feel it's not as effective you should definitely switch to a fresh sample.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

See if maybe there's a small image of an open jar with a time frame normally writted as "3M" or "6M" to represent "3 months" or "6 months", this icon can normally be found on lables near the bottom of products and is the approxiate shelf life of an item if kept in proper conditions (normally in areas not near excessive moisture, dampness, direct/prolonged light/sun exposure).

I've seen bottles of the stuff have a clear look to a slight yellow tinge, so it can just be the natural change the product takes on.

If you're questioning whether you should still use it, it's better to be safe than sorry, but you can always test spot it on a smaller, more minor area as opposed to using it on all portions of your face that need it.

With any brightening/fading/lightening product it usually takes 4 weeks for results to show, and full/better results anywhere from 8-12 weeks so be prepared to be patient and have some dedication to a product.

Personally I like Ole Heriksen's Truth Serum, which uses vitamin C to brighten and even skin tone as opposed to hydroquinone which can make skin light sensitive (be sure to use it at night only but if you use it during the day, follow up with a higher SPF of at least 20 or 30).

I have tried absolutely everything and the only thing that has worked is the Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion pads. They have a gentle version as well. This practically started working for me overnight. The trick to control acne is benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid. These pads have salicylic and glycolic acid and I use a neutrogena benzoyl peroxide wash. My blemish and blemish marks are completely gone and it hasn't even been a week. Hope this helps. 

Though the PTR pads are great, do note that not all skin types can handle a combination of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide at the same time.

BP introduces oxygen into pores to open them to rid oil and bacteria that can cause breakouts while SA not only cleanses and rids skin of bacteria, it also helps shed dead/excess layers of skin to minimize and bring down the size of breakouts.

There are instances where these two potent ingredients when combined are too strong for skin and can end up overdrying many complexions.

To the OP, check out this thread where someone was asking about peels, I gave some info on commonly used ingredients in terms of peels and treatment products that could serve for some use:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Acne/What-is-the-best-peel-to-fade-mainly-acne-marks-scars-and/qaq-p...

The Murad treatment relies on hydroquinone, one of the stronger over the counter ingredients you can get to fade discoloration as it not only exfoliates surface levels of skin/uneven pigmentation, but it also slows down the production of melanin in those spots to prevent further discoloring.

The PTR pads rely on salicylic acid (which is a beta hydroxy acid) and glycolic acid (which is an alpha hydroxy acid), these are going to be more gentle on skin in comparison to the Murad gel, but if you do make switches, start off slow and gradual phase out/in products as to not throw your skin into shock.

I am absolutely well aware of what each ingredient does for the skin, everyones skin is different, I post what works for me, all these ingredients i do not use at the same time of same days obviously it would cause skin drying. This is what worked for me with no drying, my skin is glowing and in perfectly good shape in less than a week. Smiley Happy

Is the product doesnt leave any side effect? anyway, sometimes every product don't expired at all at the date stated in the packaging, mostly it still have 3 to 6 months grace period to conclude it already expired.

Regards,

James of www.acneproductsreview.org society

Hey, James! Welcome to the forums, as a side note, Sephora itself doesn't allow the posting of outside links in threads. So websites from blogs, personal pages, other company sites, etc.. aren't allowed to be promoted and advertised. You can make mention of a certain product not carried by Sephora, but can't directly link it. Just a heads up! Smiley Happy
7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors