Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Moisturizer to pair with Retin-A

Hi all- I’ve been using Retin-A for about 4 months now to cure my cystic acne, and it has been a God send, as it has truly cleared up my skin! My biggest issue that I STILL struggle with is peeling. I know that peeling is a good thing, but my skin literally peels all day. It makes my makeup look horrible! My dermatologist recommends that I pair it with a good moisturizer at night, and after much trial and error, I have not found a good one yet. Can anyone recommend a good one that pairs well with Retin-A?

Re: Moisturizer to pair with Retin-A

I've been using Retin-a for almost 4 years now but I STILL struggle with peeling in the winter. But I just discovered CeraVe PM and it's the best thing ever. I've tried multiple other moisturizers but the CeraVe actually stops me from peeling throughout the day rather than making it go away for a few hours. Just be sure to apply it twice a day. Good luck!

Do you use the moisturizer before the retin a, after or mixed with.  Have been hearing great things about that moisturizer.

RE: Moisturizer to pair with Retin-A

I’ve never been on Retin-A but I’m on a clindamyacin prescription which dried me out at first. Sunday Riley CEO moisturizer rescued my skin. Good luck - keep trying things til you find what works for you!

@MissSarah03 I discovered CeraVe PM when I started using Retin-A, and still use it even though my skin is acclimated.  If I need a little more, I have been using Cetaphil Night Moisturizer from the Redness Relieving line.  I also like Clinique Smart Treatment Oil for even dryer areas.  And for the worst of the worst, I rec applying a thin layer of store brand Neosporin.  Good luck!  🙂

Anonymous Insider

I'll start out by giving you a few tips while using retin a. You're definitely going to feel a bit dry after a couple of creams. People say that your skin develops more stamina with retin a and its probably true. 

Tip #1: Moisturize while using retin A. I use Elevase Moisture Booster because it has ceramides. You can use that or another cream with ceramides.

Tip #2: Acne products can make your skin more dry when using Retin A. Avoid salicylic acid, glycolic acid, Vitamin C, and exfoliants as they may further dry out your skin. 

Tip #3: Wear sunscreen. The sun can fry your skin when you are using retin A. Your skin is super sensitized. 

Tip #4: Decrease the frequency and the amount of the cream if you are excessively dry. Its better to maintain consistency rather than quit ahead of time. 

Clinique dramatically different is nice I agree! I myself peel as well and I use it daily. I also recommend moisture surge it’s great for those extra dry days.

Try using some hyaluronic acid, The Ordinary is affordable and works great. You could also consider adding an essence to your routine (after toner, before serum), Laneige makes a good hydrating one. 

Moisturizer to pair with Retin-A

I was on Accutane so sometimes my skin would peel too. I really like the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. It's super lightweight and it hydrates really well. For something really thick at night, Ponds has a dry skin cream that's only $6. I would also put Aquaphor on the parts of my skin that were peeling and it really helped soothe my skin.

Thank you so much; I will definitely try these out! 😊

Re: RE: Moisturizer to pair with Retin-A

I’ve been on retin-a since I was a teenager, and I’ve tried everything! What works best is a simple moisturizer, (Cerave or something), without a lot of fragrance or alcohol, and then a layer of oil over top, or even mixed in. Argan works great, or the Ordinary’s rosehip oil.

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing