Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Luna Night Oil vs. Lapis Oil

Hello! For context, I have acne-prone skin with cystic acne from time to time. My cheeks are very red from the acne and have some scarring on my cheeks. I currently use the acne kit from Clinique and it does help keep some of it at bay but not all. My cheeks are also very very dry from the acne while the t-zone is just oily, as normal. I've been trying to decide between the Luna from Sunday Riley and the Lapis from Herbivore. I read both work great for redness and cystic acne but since they're both cost a lot, I wanna make sure I invest in the right one! Help please! 

Re: Luna Night Oil vs. Lapis Oil

I bought the Lapis oil by Herbivore and had very high hopes that it would help me with all my skin problems (very sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea) because it has so many great reviews. Unfortunately, I had an allergic reaction with only two uses of the product. The day I got the product I used it before bed after washing my face. The next day I washed my face and used it before applying my makeup. (This is my normal routine and I only replaced my moisturizer with the Lapis oil.) By that evening, my face and neck were a red, itchy mess. I had hundreds of tiny zit-like blisters all over my face and areas on my chin, nose and forehead crusted over. It took about a week for my skin to recover enough even wear makeup. However; I have found a products that has worked tremendously for me and my skin. I've been using Tarte Maracuja oil for almost a month and a half and my skin looks better than it ever has. My rosacea is almost completely gone, maybe just some slight redness on the apple of my cheeks. My huge pores on my nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead are now barely visible and the hundreds of blackheads that filled them are gone. The constant 24/7 acne, that was beginning to leave scars and was so bad that I didn't leave my house unless I had to, is now a manageable one or two pimples during PMS. Everyone's skin is different. Maybe the Maracuja oil will work for you. My advice is to purchase a mini size or ask for a sample to try the next time your at Sephora. 

Also, I did not care for the scent of the Lapis oil. Herbal scents usually don't bother me, but this one is peculiar and rather pungent. The smell does fade slightly after applying, but it does not go away completely. I had to wash my pillowcase to get rid of the smell.

I personally love Luna oil from Sunday Riley more. It is a slightly thicker darker oil and feels more hydrating to my skin. The lapis oil is great, but it didn't help my redness or dryness as much as Luna oil did. I could definitely see results within a month of my redness and acne scarring fading when I used it every night. 

RE: Luna Night Oil vs. Lapis Oil

Obviously everyone’s skin is different, but personally after trying both products I found Luna to be significantly better. My redness dissipated almost over night (which is why I got it) plus some fine lines (which unfortunately I wasn’t concerned about until this product brought my attention to them haha.)

Re: RE: Luna Night Oil vs. Lapis Oil

Thank you!!

Also, I've used the Clinique 3 step system. Their combination/dry kit moisturizer was too heavy for my T-zone and the combination/oily kit moisturizer left my cheeks too dry. I use their Dramatically Different moisturizer gel and cream. I put the gel all over my face and neck day and night, then at night I also use a small amount of the cream and massage it into my dry skin areas. Having to purchase two moisturizers might be inconvenient, but the cream last about twice as long as the gel because I don't have to use much. However, I'm trying new products because Clinique just doesn't control the acne as well as I would like and it doesn't address all my skin needs.

After reading reviews and looking at ingredients, I purchased the lapis oil today. I'm hoping that it not only helps with my cystic acne, but also my rosacea and redness. I have very sensitive, combination skin. Once it arrives in the mail and I start using it, I will update and let you know how it works. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

I bought the Lapis oil by Herbivore and had very high hopes that it would help me with all my skin problems (very sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea) because it has so many great reviews. Unfortunately, I had an allergic reaction with only two uses of the product. The day I got the product I used it before bed after washing my face. The next day I washed my face and used it before applying my makeup. (This is my normal routine and I only replaced my moisturizer with the Lapis oil.) By that evening, my face and neck were a red, itchy mess. I had hundreds of tiny zit-like blisters all over my face and areas on my chin, nose and forehead crusted over. It took about a week for my skin to recover enough even wear makeup. However; I have found a products that has worked tremendously for me and my skin. I've been using Tarte Maracuja oil for almost a month and a half and my skin looks better than it ever has. My rosacea is almost completely gone, maybe just some slight redness on the apple of my cheeks. My huge pores on my nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead are now barely visible and the hundreds of blackheads that filled them are gone. The constant 24/7 acne, that was beginning to leave scars and was so bad that I didn't leave my house unless I had to, is now a manageable one or two pimples during PMS. Everyone's skin is different. Maybe the Maracuja oil will work for you. My advice is to purchase a mini size or ask for a sample to try the next time your at Sephora. 

Thank you!!! that would be wonderful!

the only thing that helps with cystic acne is an antibiot...

the only thing that helps with cystic acne is an antibiotic that targets hormonal acne which you have. along with using a prescription strength Retin-a! I suggest seeing a dermatologist because topical alone do not cure cystic acne. 'clean at sephora' brands. I use the Youth to the people face oil as it is acne friendly.

Yes, PLEASE keep us updated! I am in a very similar situation, I have very dry, acne prone, cystic acne-scarred cheeks with a severely oily t-zone, and I am trying to decide if I should buy the lapis or luna oil. Let me know how it works for you! I am currently leaning towards the lapis oil.

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing