Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Looking for a new acne treatment?

I used to use Epiduo but that was SO expensive! Around $200 for a tube, then my derm switched me to Differin which is $70 a tube. The thing is I just don't feel like its doing its job. I'm still getting acne on my face. I get the gross pus-filled pimples hat leave s scar, my scars are gone except for 3 but I keep getting them so I'm going to get more scars too. Here's my current regimen. Wash with PTR Glycolic acid 3% wash with Clarisonic Prescription cleanser Plexion (5% sulfur and 10% sulfacetamide) Witch Hazel toner Differin gel cerave moisturizer. Once a week I also use a at home chemical peel which is 30% Glycolic acid which has helped get rid of my scars. I'm really looking for just an acne treatment gel or something to replace the Differin. Ay ideas? I've been looking at PTR and DDFs Glycolic acid moisturizer/treatments, would they be good? Or should I look for something else? I've tried DDF BP and tea tree treatment and it didn't work. I need something that will get rid of the nasty pus filled pimples!

I agree with lem37.  I had very bad acne from the age of...

I agree with lem37.  I had very bad acne from the age of 10 (now in my 30's).  The only real success I had was when I tried treating my skin as if it were dry and sensitive.  This was extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around as i have very oily skin and had spent 20 years thinking I needed to use products for oily acne-prone skin.  But the harshness of the products is what was continuing to aggravate my skin and cause new break-outs.  I constantly had acne scars and new pimples to deal with (and my scars take up to 12 months to fade on my fair skin).  

My regimen now is a very gentle (but thorough) cleanser (morning and night), and a gentle moisturizer (morning and night).  No more toners, no more acne creams / gels.  No more scrubs or masks or pulling or tugging or anything.  I tried this for 4 week (2 weeks to treat the surface and 2 more weeks to purge what's lurking underneath).  2 skin cycles, essentially.  It worked better than anything i had ever tried before.  I also included some vitamins and a half litre of water in the morning while getting ready and a half litre of water right before bed, and noticed a difference there too.  

I started using Cetaphil for dry skin (very foreign for me to use anything for dry skin).  It worked.  I have since switched to Avene cleansing milk, and Avene Hydrance lotion.  They are about $30 each, but they are like magic for me.  Strange as it sounds, whenever my skin started to misbehave I would make sure i really moisturized before bed and there would be noticeable improvements in the morning.

About once a month or so i will still do an aspirin face mask (aspirin is salicylic acid).  After washing, leave your face wet, and dissolve 1 plain uncoated aspirin in your palm.  Gently smooth it over your whole face (don't get tempted to scrub!).  Let it dry.  once dry, brush off all the bits.  You can rinse and moisturize or leave it on overnight and wash in the morning.  When you first try this i would only leave it on for about 30 min to see how your skin handles it.  I once applied it to a spot and covered with a bandaid overnight and it burned my skin, so take it slow and don't overstress your skin.

Good luck!

Hi britani! I had very similar skin to yours up until abo...

Hi britani! I had very similar skin to yours up until about 6 months ago. Very painful, large acne. Looking at your regimen, you may be "over treating" your skin. Too many chemicals in wash and prep (+ prescription meds like Differin) can cause your skin to either become extremely irritated or dry out, which itself causes more sebum and pimples. I changed my regimen to Purity Made Simple + Epiduo + Cerave moisturizer (AM or PM), and haven't looked back since. The key was a very simple, basic cleanser (no chemicals) and a hydrating moisturizer, and no peels or masks. Let the prescription do its work. Hope this helps!

I have similar acne to yours, except the difference with...

I have similar acne to yours, except the difference with mine is that I get horrible scars. Right now I'm using Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehavin' AHA/BHA Cleanser, and it has helped tremendously with my acne. This cleanser has glycolic acid and salicylic acid. I use that in conjuction with the Origins Zero Oil Purifying Toner and Origins Super Spot Remover Acne Treatment Gel. I'm not saying that my exact skincare routine will prevent breakouts for you, but it's worth a try. All the products I use are under $35, so it's a little bit cheaper than DDF products. I also want to add that if you need something super strong the Dermadoctor Acne Serum is pretty good, but it's a little on the pricey side in my opinion. However, I have tried a generous sample of it from Sephora and it works wonderfully for a night treatment. I hope this helps and good luck!

I also use Differin cream now and find it incredibly dryi...

I also use Differin cream now and find it incredibly drying. I stopped using it and started using Dermalogica's spot treatment, medicated clearing gel, and overnight clearing cream. I really love Dermalogica stuff and I feel like they work very well, whether it's due to how my skin is or if it really is an awesome line. Right now I have to buy them from Ulta, but I've put in a lot of requests for Sephora to carry it. Honestly, Dermalogica and Premier Dead Sea are the two brands that help me a lot. You can find the Premier stuff in a kiosk in a mall(or at least they have them where I live) but it's super pricey, like up to 2,000 dollars for some of their products. I get facials with their products(I have not bought any) and it leaves my skin feeling super soft. I'm still searching for the perfect one but hopefully this helps you!

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors