Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Is this skin care routine ok for acne prone skin?

Hi!! 

I’ve been having acnes for almost three years now. Combined with oily skin, blackheads, acne scars…. It’s not fun. I’ve started this new skin care regimen— anyone has any insights on whether I can use these products together?? 

face wash — Murad acne wash (2% salicylic acid)

Dr. Dennis Gross extra strength daily peel

The Inkey List — Niacinamide serum 

The ordinary — Azelaic acid 10% 

Thank you so much!! Any suggestions are welcomed.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 

The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 3.4 oz/ 100 mL 

Re: Is this skin care routine ok for acne prone skin?

I think this regime might be a bit harsh for your skin with the Murad Acne Wash and Dr. Dennis Gross peel pads (assuming you use it 3x a week). Over-exfoliation can strip your skin and cause the skin to produce more oil. I would finish up the peel pads and change to something else. I had acne for years, and it was hard for me to have the mindset that sometimes less is more. I recommend buying a gentle cleanser (ex. Vanicream, La Roche Posay, etc.) and using that in the morning and the Murad Acne Wash at night. For oily skin, I recommend La Roche Posay's Purifying face wash or even their hydrating one.

Exfoliate 2 to 3x a week with an exfoliating toner or serum like the Inkey List PHA (especially since you use a wash that has BHA's) or Paula's Choice BHA. 

I love Azaleic acid for hyperpigmentation. It can take a while to see results, but it helps a lot. I use a prescription-strength (15%) and tretinoin. I would check out retinol of some sort. Start with an over counter one, and then if it doesn't do much for you, consult a derm. And use a moisturizer that works for your skin. I have had dry, combo, and oily skin, and I have always used Clinique Moisture Surge, and it's been great. 

Not sure if you use an SPF, but if not, I recommend looking into a mineral SPF. Although, the best sunscreen is the one you like and reapply. 

I hope this helps! 

Hi, @lt1140 !  I think you picked a good cleanser (I've used it in the past).  I currently use The Ordinary Niacinamide and it has done wonderful things for my face.  Hopefully The Inkey List will be just as good!  I also used The Ordinary Azeliac Acid (3 tubes), but it didn't do anything for me.  I still think it's a good choice.  The peel pads scare me!  I've never been able to get myself to try them.  I think if you start out once or twice a week to see how your skin reacts (do a patch test first), that would be best.  The one item that's missing is moisturizer!  Even with oily skin and acne, you have to use moisturizer to balance your skin.  It may even help lessen the oil and acne.  Look for one for oily and acne prone skin.

How long have you been using these products, @lt1140? A couple of them are ones I wouldn't necessarily recommend for daily use, depending on your experience with actives. It's also a lot for one routine. You may want to consider doing some alternating. But I wouldn't use any of them without a good moisturizer and sunscreen in place. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing