Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Is my skin regimen enough or too much?

I recently changed my skin regimen after a few months because I started breaking out again (nothing had changed in my regimen up until then); I replaced a couple of things. I wanted to show what I'm using now and just get some feedback. I'm 36yo with combination skin so I want something to address anti-aging and adult acne that includes blackheads and sometimes a few whiteheads. AM: PTR Glycolic wash, Kate Somerville Toner and Estee Lauder Daywear Advanced oil-free cream with SPF 25. PM: PTR Glycolic wash, Kate Somerville Toner, and then I alternate nights with Alpha Hydrox 12% Glycolic Souffle and Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ. Anything you would add or change? Thanks in advance!

I cross referenced all the ingredients in these products...

I cross referenced all the ingredients in these products and they seem fine. Sometimes products lose their effectiveness, so perhaps that happened? Or maybe you are overstimulating your skin. I would suggest using an oil-free moisturizer at night, like DDF Moisturizing Dew, after your treatments, and taking a night off, or maybe adding in a nourishing serum. I would also add a weekly mask. Also, be sure to watch your diet and stress levels. Drink lots of water and green tea, avoid dairy and processed foods. 

I suggest alternating out the glycolic wash in either mor...

I suggest alternating out the glycolic wash in either morang or night with something gentler, but I definitely do not think your regime is too harsh. Mine is similar and my breakouts tend to be due to diet (too much alcohol, too little water, and greasy food), cosmetics with comedogenic ingredients, or hormonal.

General rule of thumb: thorough cleanse at night because...

General rule of thumb: thorough cleanse at night because of all the dirty stuff accumulated during the day, and night is when body/skin does the repair and absorb most stuff. Go easy on your skin in the morning, because there's no dirt only your skin oil, which is not a bad thing and you don't want to strip your skin of it's natural protective barrier before facing the day.

Ditch the cleanser during the day, or switch to a gentler one. In addition to skincare, maybe your makeup have something to do with the breakout? do you use brushes or finger? did you make sure they were clean? did you try putting less or different product on the face?

If it's anything it might be the amount of glycolic washe...

If it's anything it might be the amount of glycolic washes - you're using both day and night and then with a glycolic toner at night as well. Maybe opt for something a little gentler, though still thoroughly cleansing. Though if you're not sensitive I don't think it should be a problem. I get red, patchy dry spots if I overwash my skin which leads to some breakouts - so I try to keep my face clean and the skincare effective without having to load my skin up all the time. 

Re: If it's anything it might be the amount of glycolic washe...

What cleanser would you suggest that would do a good job at keeping my acne at bay but also compliment my regimen?

Re: If it's anything it might be the amount of glycolic washe...

I agree with spiritualizes. I use PTR's glycolic face wash once a day and alternate it with a more gentle cleanser, like Purity by Philosophy, this has kept my skin more balanced.
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors