Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

I need skincare advice badly!

Hello, I am 24 years old and I don't have a skincare routine, at one point I never needed one, my skin was naturally fine Left sideLeft sideThis is my right side, a few of the dark spot are actually moles or a beauty mark.This is my right side, a few of the dark spot are actually moles or a beauty mark.Right sideRight sideLeft sideLeft sideand now I do. So originally I constantly kept getting acne bumps all over my face, like the attack of my chin and my forehead for the most part, unfortunately some of them I did pick at so of course they left behind scars. I started using Sheamoisture black soap for face and body, I used the soap once a day every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. A little before I hit a 30 day mark, I noticed my lower right cheek began to feel irritated and forming even smaller bumps in one area, and then my forehead started to flake up really bad and just be so dry. So of course I realized I was possibly having an allergic reaction so I stopped using it but now I don't know what to do to fix it but also to continue clearing up my skin. It did get rid of a lot of the dark spots I had but not all of it. I also wasn't moisturizing, I don't know of any great products to use, literally the only lotions I own are all Bath and Body Works. Any recommendations would help!

Re: I need skincare advice badly!

Welcome, @Deedee913! So looking through your post, would you say your skin type is dry? Or maybe that is just a consequence of the harsher soap with no moisturizer? 

In building a routine, I think it's most important to get a good base down so that you have something to keep your skin balanced and protected once you start using treatments to target specific issues. A good base routine will contain a cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Everything else is "extra" and just dependent on your skin's specific needs and what issues you want to address- like acne and scarring. 

Here are a few cleanser recommendations: 

First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 

fresh Soy Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser 

philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser 

Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 

Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cleanser 4 oz/ 120 mL 

Moisturizer will depend a bit more on skin type- dry vs oily (or combo or normal) since oily skin, even when it's dehydrated, typically does better with gel moisturizers while drier skin does better with richer, nourishing creams. 

For sunscreen, you might want to check out Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40. I've also heard some really good things about Black Girl Sunscreen (available at Target or Ulta) though I haven't tried it yet myself. 

Thank you so much! I love your feedback and recommendations.

Also, my skin is more so dry normally.

Hi!!

I would recommend a facial cleanser and a good facial moisturizer. 

I hope that helped! Have a great day, beautiful!

Hey! Thank you anything is better than nothing!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos4
  • Right side
  • Left side
  • Left side
  • This is my right side, a few of the dark spot are actually moles or a beauty mark.
testing